WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: List of default screen reader announcements of various tagged elements?

for

Number of posts in this thread: 2 (In chronological order)

Date: Fri, Feb 18 2022 11:05AM
Subject: List of default screen reader announcements of various tagged elements?
No previous message | Next message →

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a webpage article or resource that
contains a list of common tagged elements in an accessible doc or webpage
and how each element is read out in NVDA, JAWS, etc?

I am trying to create a reference doc for our testers so they can more
easily recognize when an element has been tagged or labelled incorrectly,
ie has a bullet list been tagged so that it's announced as a list of X
items and then announces the bullet and then the text of each bullet.

Thanks for any help you can provide :)

*x*
*Christine Hogenkamp (She, Her)*
Front-end Developer
ContextCreative.com <http://contextcreative.com/>;

*20 years of purposeful creativity*
* ˟**˟*

Date: Mon, Feb 21 2022 2:00AM
Subject: Re: List of default screen reader announcements of varioustagged elements?
← Previous message | No next message

Hi Christine,

I don't know of such a list but you would have to be careful with giving the wrong expectations because the way a screen reader reads something often depends on how you got to it, the context it is in, and whether the screen reader has read it previously. I've not done any systematic testing of this with any screen readers but my experience is that:

- If you Tab to an element a screen reader may announce it differently from if you arrow to it.
- If you read an element, move somewhere else, then return to the element, it will often read it differently the second time.
- If you Tab to an element that is within some kinds of containers, such as regions or lists, the screen reader may announce the name and role of the container along with the element.
- Within a container such as a list or a fieldset, the first element may be read differently from the other elements.

There may also be other reasons why the experience may vary and screen readers sometimes just seem to be having a 'bad day' where they don't read things the way they normally do!

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Christine Hogenkamp
Sent: 18 February 2022 18:05
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [WebAIM] List of default screen reader announcements of various tagged elements?

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a webpage article or resource that contains a list of common tagged elements in an accessible doc or webpage and how each element is read out in NVDA, JAWS, etc?

I am trying to create a reference doc for our testers so they can more easily recognize when an element has been tagged or labelled incorrectly, ie has a bullet list been tagged so that it's announced as a list of X items and then announces the bullet and then the text of each bullet.

Thanks for any help you can provide :)

*x*
*Christine Hogenkamp (She, Her)*
Front-end Developer
ContextCreative.com <http://contextcreative.com/>;

*20 years of purposeful creativity*
* ˟**˟*