WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Tabbing issue

for

Number of posts in this thread: 5 (In chronological order)

Date: Mon, Jul 16 2001 8:18PM
Subject: Tabbing issue
No previous message | Next message →

One accessibility issue I have been trying to overcome involves users relying on keyboards to navigate a site - tabbing entirely through a site without using a mouse at all. I had been experiencing difficulty tabbing through pages where flash was present - once I tabbed into the flash movie, I found it impossible to tab out of it and back onto the main body of the page.
One way around that problem is to add a TABINDEX value into every HREF on the page, then a small piece of javascript on the last link, to bring the first link back into focus.
Does anyone know another way around this - is there anything that can be added into the flash movie to allow tabbing outside it, for example?
Thanks
Carol
---
Carol McGregor
HTML Author
Realise Ltd.
www.realise.com
t 0131 476 6000
f 0131 476 6061

This electronic message contains information from Realise which may be privileged and confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone on 0131 476 6000 and delete the material from your computer.

Date: Mon, Jul 16 2001 8:25PM
Subject: Re: Tabbing issue
← Previous message | Next message →

Carol,

That is a great question. I've played around a lot with Flash and haven't come up with a good solution to the problem. It seems to me that it would be fairly simple for Macromedia to build that functionality into the Flash player, but they haven't done it yet. Maybe a little encouragement from the developer community would help.

I'll be anxiously awaiting the responses of others on the list. Hopefully someone has come up with a good solution.

Jeff
----- Original Message -----
To: ' = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = '
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 8:18 AM

One accessibility issue I have been trying to overcome involves users relying on keyboards to navigate a site - tabbing entirely through a site without using a mouse at all. I had been experiencing difficulty tabbing through pages where flash was present - once I tabbed into the flash movie, I found it impossible to tab out of it and back onto the main body of the page.
One way around that problem is to add a TABINDEX value into every HREF on the page, then a small piece of javascript on the last link, to bring the first link back into focus.
Does anyone know another way around this - is there anything that can be added into the flash movie to allow tabbing outside it, for example?
Thanks
Carol
---
Carol McGregor
HTML Author
Realise Ltd.
www.realise.com
t 0131 476 6000
f 0131 476 6061

This electronic message contains information from Realise which may be privileged and confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone on 0131 476 6000 and delete the material from your computer.

Date: Mon, Jul 16 2001 10:21AM
Subject: RE: Tabbing issue

I don't know if someone has already replied, but the "alt" F4 function closes out the window if you open flash into a separate window.
Mo Hencmann
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 8:23 AM
To: WebAIM forum

Carol,

That is a great question. I've played around a lot with Flash and haven't come up with a good solution to the problem. It seems to me that it would be fairly simple for Macromedia to build that functionality into the Flash player, but they haven't done it yet. Maybe a little encouragement from the developer community would help.

I'll be anxiously awaiting the responses of others on the list. Hopefully someone has come up with a good solution.

Jeff
----- Original Message -----
To: ' = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = '
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 8:18 AM

Thanks
Carol
---
Carol McGregor
HTML Author
Realise Ltd.
www.realise.com
t 0131 476 6000
f 0131 476 6061

Date: Mon, Jul 16 2001 10:46AM

An advantage of having an inside connection - my
husband works for Macromedia (not on Flash though),
but I passed the message along to him which he in turn
passed along to the Flash development team. Hopefully
we'll see a change in their next release.
Ruth
--- Jeff Isom < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
> Tabbing issueCarol,
>
> That is a great question. I've played around a lot
> with Flash and haven't come up with a good solution
> to the problem. It seems to me that it would be
> fairly simple for Macromedia to build that
> functionality into the Flash player, but they
> haven't done it yet. Maybe a little encouragement
> from the developer community would help.
>
> I'll be anxiously awaiting the responses of others
> on the list. Hopefully someone has come up with a
> good solution.
>
> Jeff
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Carol MacGregor
> To: ' = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = '
> Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 8:18 AM
> Subject: Tabbing issue
>
>
> One accessibility issue I have been trying to
> overcome involves users relying on keyboards to
> navigate a site - tabbing entirely through a site
> without using a mouse at all. I had been
> experiencing difficulty tabbing through pages where
> flash was present - once I tabbed into the flash
> movie, I found it impossible to tab out of it and
> back onto the main body of the page.
>
> One way around that problem is to add a TABINDEX
> value into every HREF on the page, then a small
> piece of javascript on the last link, to bring the
> first link back into focus.
>
> Does anyone know another way around this - is
> there anything that can be added into the flash
> movie to allow tabbing outside it, for example?
>
> Thanks
>
> Carol
>
> ---
> Carol McGregor
> HTML Author
>
> Realise Ltd.
> www.realise.com
>
> t 0131 476 6000
> f 0131 476 6061
>
>
>
>
>
>
> __________________________________________________
>
> This electronic message contains information from
> Realise which may be privileged and confidential.
> The information is intended to be for the use of the
> individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not
> the intended recipient, be aware that any
> disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the
> contents of this information is prohibited. If you
> have received this electronic message in error,
> please notify us by telephone on 0131 476 6000 and
> delete the material from your computer.
>
>

Date: Tue, Jul 17 2001 6:58AM
← Previous message | No next message

Given that the content of the Flash object is invisible to screen readers, you can take the