WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Font size and Italics in PDFs

for

Number of posts in this thread: 5 (In chronological order)

Date: Tue, Oct 25 2011 8:39PM
Subject: Font size and Italics in PDFs
No previous message | Next message →

Hi all,

This is my first posting to the list so I apologize if what I'm asking has been addressed numerous times in the past.

I am working on converting Word documents into PDFs (I have Word 2010 and Acrobat Pro X) and I am concerned about font sizes. My agency has us using a font size 11 for general text, and has no qualms about italicized text. As I create these PDFs, I am concerned about people with low or partial vision.

Is there an agreed upon font size for PDFs? And is italicized text something that should only be done sparingly? Does Section 508 and/or W3C's Web Accessibility Initiative address font sizes for PDFs directly? I find those sites painful to navigate and to read, and what little I have found addressing PDFs and printable documents is vague ("be sure to use a large enough font size"-type of language).

I know that it's best to use HTML whenever possible because the end user can change the font size to their liking, but for information that people may want to print, PDF seems to be the preferred format.

I would appreciate any feedback I can get from you experts and accessibility enthusiasts.

Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
-Dan

Dan Malosh, Digital Reference Librarian
Minnesota Braille & Talking Book Library

Date: Wed, Oct 26 2011 4:12AM
Subject: Re: Font size and Italics in PDFs
← Previous message | Next message →

Dan,
If you tag your PDFs properly, not only can users zoom in to increase the text size, but they can enable reflow of the text so the text wraps within the confines of the current window. So, font size shouldn't be too small, but people reading the PDF can adjust it.

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Group Product Manager, Accessibility
Adobe Systems

= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
http://twitter.com/awkawk
http://blogs.adobe.com/accessibility

-----Original Message-----
From: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Malosh, Dan (MDE)
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:02 PM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] Font size and Italics in PDFs

Hi all,

This is my first posting to the list so I apologize if what I'm asking has been addressed numerous times in the past.

I am working on converting Word documents into PDFs (I have Word 2010 and Acrobat Pro X) and I am concerned about font sizes. My agency has us using a font size 11 for general text, and has no qualms about italicized text. As I create these PDFs, I am concerned about people with low or partial vision.

Is there an agreed upon font size for PDFs? And is italicized text something that should only be done sparingly? Does Section 508 and/or W3C's Web Accessibility Initiative address font sizes for PDFs directly? I find those sites painful to navigate and to read, and what little I have found addressing PDFs and printable documents is vague ("be sure to use a large enough font size"-type of language).

I know that it's best to use HTML whenever possible because the end user can change the font size to their liking, but for information that people may want to print, PDF seems to be the preferred format.

I would appreciate any feedback I can get from you experts and accessibility enthusiasts.

Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
-Dan

Date: Wed, Oct 26 2011 9:00PM

Dan,
As part of HHS, we don't have a recommended size, we only have
recommended font faces. Those are: Cambria, Calibri, Verdana, Arial,
Tahoma, Helvetica and Times New Roman. These fonts don't distort when
you zoom in on it, or reflow the PDF, as Andrew said.

> And is italicized text something that should only be done sparingly?
If italicized text is hard to read, try another font. Fancy fonts but
plain fonts, I think Georgia is one, can get hard to read in italic
and sometimes plain, this is due to all the little loop-de-loo's that
are added. These tend to make the characters bleed together.

> "be sure to use a large enough font size"-type of language
This allows people to use their judgement. Thinking about questions I
get at work, if we put something say use 14 point everywhere, somebody
will come back and say that makes us use ___ more pages a year, and we
need to be more green.

--
Ryan E. Benson

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 6:00 AM, Andrew Kirkpatrick < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
> Dan,
> If you tag your PDFs properly, not only can users zoom in to increase the text size, but they can enable reflow of the text so the text wraps within the confines of the current window.  So, font size shouldn't be too small, but people reading the PDF can adjust it.
>
> Thanks,
> AWK
>
> Andrew Kirkpatrick
> Group Product Manager, Accessibility
> Adobe Systems
>
> = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> http://twitter.com/awkawk
> http://blogs.adobe.com/accessibility
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Malosh, Dan (MDE)
> Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 1:02 PM
> To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> Subject: [WebAIM] Font size and Italics in PDFs
>
> Hi all,
>
> This is my first posting to the list so I apologize if what I'm asking has been addressed numerous times in the past.
>
> I am working on converting Word documents into PDFs (I have Word 2010 and Acrobat Pro X) and I am concerned about font sizes.  My agency has us using a font size 11 for general text, and has no qualms about italicized text.  As I create these PDFs, I am concerned about people with low or partial vision.
>
> Is there an agreed upon font size for PDFs?  And is italicized text something that should only be done sparingly?  Does Section 508 and/or W3C's Web Accessibility Initiative address font sizes for PDFs directly?  I find those sites painful to navigate and to read, and what little I have found addressing PDFs and printable documents is vague ("be sure to use a large enough font size"-type of language).
>
> I know that it's best to use HTML whenever possible because the end user can change the font size to their liking, but for information that people may want to print, PDF seems to be the preferred format.
>
> I would appreciate any feedback I can get from you experts and accessibility enthusiasts.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Sincerely,
> -Dan
>
> Dan Malosh, Digital Reference Librarian
> Minnesota Braille & Talking Book Library
>
>

Date: Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:09AM

Andrew,

Thanks for your response. Do you know of any links you could send me so I can learn more about tagging PDFs with reflow in mind? We've had a day of accessibility training at work, and although the training was months ago I know we didn't discuss font sizes and/or the "reflow" of text.

Also, can people adjust the font within the PDF and have it retain its size for printing purposes, or does this just work for displaying on the computer?

From: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Andrew Kirkpatrick
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:00 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Font size and Italics in PDFs

Dan,
If you tag your PDFs properly, not only can users zoom in to increase the text size, but they can enable reflow of the text so the text wraps within the confines of the current window. So, font size shouldn't be too small, but people reading the PDF can adjust it.

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Adobe Systems

From: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Malosh, Dan (MDE)

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
-Dan

Date: Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:54AM
← Previous message | No next message

Documents: http://www.adobe.com/accessibility/products/acrobat/training.html
Videos: http://tv.adobe.com/show/accessibility-adobe
Video addressing text vs scanned text: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/accessibility-adobe/acrobat-magnifying-text-vs-scanned-documents/
The video doesn't mention that if you hit Ctrl+4 (on windows, see the view menu for mac shortcut) the text reflows.

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Adobe Systems

Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2011 1:07 PM

Andrew,

Thanks for your response. Do you know of any links you could send me so I can learn more about tagging PDFs with reflow in mind? We've had a day of accessibility training at work, and although the training was months ago I know we didn't discuss font sizes and/or the "reflow" of text.

Also, can people adjust the font within the PDF and have it retain its size for printing purposes, or does this just work for displaying on the computer?

From: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Andrew Kirkpatrick
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:00 AM

Dan,

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Adobe Systems

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
-Dan