WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: CODE EDITORS

for

Number of posts in this thread: 11 (In chronological order)

Date: Wed, Jun 29 2016 8:09PM
Subject: CODE EDITORS
No previous message | Next message →

DEAR FRIENDS, GREETINGS.
AS FOR THE SUBJECT LINE SAYS, CAN SOME ONE SUGGEST THE BEST CODE
EDITORS WITH JAWS?

I WAS USING NOTEPAD PLUS, BUT, IN THE MENU BAR, SOME OF THE HTML AND
PHP CODES ARE NOT DISPLAYED
HENCE, ALLWAYS I HAVE TO DEPENDS ON MANUAL CODING.

i WAS ASKED ONE OF MY SIGHTED FRIEND, HE SUGGESTED ME TO GO WITH
SUBLIME TEXT EDITOR, BUT, THE SUBLIME IS NOT ACCESSIBLE WIT SCREEN
READERS.

HOPE SOME EXPERTS WILL HELP ME.

--
jammed and internet hanged?Reach through the following means:
mobile: +91 9599194749
whats app: +91 7795927572
email: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Thanks and regards
Shankar
*****ACCESSIBILITY AND USABILITY TESTER AT HCL TECHNOLOGIES *****

Date: Wed, Jun 29 2016 9:55PM
Subject: Re: CODE EDITORS
← Previous message | Next message →

I'm not sure how it is on Windows, but Visual Studio Code works pretty well
on OSX from a brief test. I know Microsoft put a lot of effort into making
their products accessible. I switched from a mix of IDEA/Sublime/Atom to
purely using VS Code now. I never really saw myself using a MS product, but
Code is a beautifully built editor. It's also insanely fast.

Maybe get them to give it a go?

Cheers,

Sean

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 12:09 PM, shankar shan < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
wrote:

> DEAR FRIENDS, GREETINGS.
> AS FOR THE SUBJECT LINE SAYS, CAN SOME ONE SUGGEST THE BEST CODE
> EDITORS WITH JAWS?
>
>
> I WAS USING NOTEPAD PLUS, BUT, IN THE MENU BAR, SOME OF THE HTML AND
> PHP CODES ARE NOT DISPLAYED
> HENCE, ALLWAYS I HAVE TO DEPENDS ON MANUAL CODING.
>
> i WAS ASKED ONE OF MY SIGHTED FRIEND, HE SUGGESTED ME TO GO WITH
> SUBLIME TEXT EDITOR, BUT, THE SUBLIME IS NOT ACCESSIBLE WIT SCREEN
> READERS.
>
> HOPE SOME EXPERTS WILL HELP ME.
>
>
>
>
> --
> jammed and internet hanged?Reach through the following means:
> mobile: +91 9599194749
> whats app: +91 7795927572
> skype: Shankar.a
> email: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> Thanks and regards
> Shankar
> *****ACCESSIBILITY AND USABILITY TESTER AT HCL TECHNOLOGIES *****
> > > > >

Date: Thu, Jun 30 2016 7:14AM

I personally do not know the answer to Shankar's question, but I thought Google might. I got a lot of partial matches to my query of "osx code editor that is compatible with jaws," with "jaws" being both one of the most important parts of the query and one of the most omitted from results. I did find this however: http://www.sas.com/en_us/home.html

I don't know anything about this editor, this Google query response was the first time I have heard of it. Here's a quote from their documentation:

"SAS Studio 3.1 has been tested against the accessibility standards for electronic information technology that were adopted by the U.S. Government under Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (2008 draft proposal initiative update). It was also tested against Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 levels A and AA, part of the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) of the Worldwide Web Consortium (W3C). For more information about the accessibility of this product, send e-mail to = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = or call SAS Technical Support.
For best results, use JAWS with Firefox on Windows 7 and VoiceOver with Safari on OS X."

Just for a lark, I opened their home page in Chrome, opened the developer tools, and ran the aXe accessibility analyzer. aXe found 19 violations, 13 of which were "links must have discernable text". The rest were color contrast and video elements missing captions and audio descriptions. Physician, heal thyself!

Brian Lovely
Digital Accessibility Team
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of shankar shan
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:09 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] CODE EDITORS

DEAR FRIENDS, GREETINGS.
AS FOR THE SUBJECT LINE SAYS, CAN SOME ONE SUGGEST THE BEST CODE EDITORS WITH JAWS?

I WAS USING NOTEPAD PLUS, BUT, IN THE MENU BAR, SOME OF THE HTML AND PHP CODES ARE NOT DISPLAYED HENCE, ALLWAYS I HAVE TO DEPENDS ON MANUAL CODING.

i WAS ASKED ONE OF MY SIGHTED FRIEND, HE SUGGESTED ME TO GO WITH SUBLIME TEXT EDITOR, BUT, THE SUBLIME IS NOT ACCESSIBLE WIT SCREEN READERS.

--
Thanks and regards
Shankar
*****ACCESSIBILITY AND USABILITY TESTER AT HCL TECHNOLOGIES ***** The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

Date: Thu, Jun 30 2016 7:39AM

...my colleague Casey passed this along: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/118984/how-can-you-program-if-youre-blind

Brian Lovely

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Lovely, Brian (CONT)
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 9:15 AM
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] CODE EDITORS

I personally do not know the answer to Shankar's question, but I thought Google might. I got a lot of partial matches to my query of "osx code editor that is compatible with jaws," with "jaws" being both one of the most important parts of the query and one of the most omitted from results. I did find this however: http://www.sas.com/en_us/home.html

I don't know anything about this editor, this Google query response was the first time I have heard of it. Here's a quote from their documentation:

"SAS Studio 3.1 has been tested against the accessibility standards for electronic information technology that were adopted by the U.S. Government under Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (2008 draft proposal initiative update). It was also tested against Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 levels A and AA, part of the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) of the Worldwide Web Consortium (W3C). For more information about the accessibility of this product, send e-mail to = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = or call SAS Technical Support.
For best results, use JAWS with Firefox on Windows 7 and VoiceOver with Safari on OS X."

Just for a lark, I opened their home page in Chrome, opened the developer tools, and ran the aXe accessibility analyzer. aXe found 19 violations, 13 of which were "links must have discernable text". The rest were color contrast and video elements missing captions and audio descriptions. Physician, heal thyself!

Brian Lovely

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of shankar shan

DEAR FRIENDS, GREETINGS.
AS FOR THE SUBJECT LINE SAYS, CAN SOME ONE SUGGEST THE BEST CODE EDITORS WITH JAWS?

I WAS USING NOTEPAD PLUS, BUT, IN THE MENU BAR, SOME OF THE HTML AND PHP CODES ARE NOT DISPLAYED HENCE, ALLWAYS I HAVE TO DEPENDS ON MANUAL CODING.

i WAS ASKED ONE OF MY SIGHTED FRIEND, HE SUGGESTED ME TO GO WITH SUBLIME TEXT EDITOR, BUT, THE SUBLIME IS NOT ACCESSIBLE WIT SCREEN READERS.

--
Thanks and regards
Shankar
*****ACCESSIBILITY AND USABILITY TESTER AT HCL TECHNOLOGIES ***** The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

Date: Thu, Jun 30 2016 2:52PM

OSX code editors may not work with JAWS since they would be Mac based and would require VoiceOver. With NotePad++, you may need to install the Plugin Manager along with the PHP Automation. There's also a HTML Tag plugin and notepadtable (for table creation) plugin you may want to consider. There's other plugins available for other programs.

But if you don't want to install plugins, try brackets.io, it's what all the cool kids are using now. Here's a video on its use with JAWS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3aGVLHrdCI

The further you get into coding, the more you may want to consider Linux as a platform. Some things just happen much faster on Linux than they will on PC. Try joining the BlindCS (Blind Computer Science) listserv on nfb.org. There's a lot of coders on that listserv who would give you great recommendations.

Joshua

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Lovely, Brian (CONT)
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 6:15 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >

Brian Lovely

DEAR FRIENDS, GREETINGS.

--
Thanks and regards
Shankar

Date: Thu, Jun 30 2016 3:01PM

I was wondering why Joshua mentioned OSX specifically in his message, then finally twigged that I had claimed to search for an accessible code editor with a string that included "osx". I don't know if that's what I actually searched on or not, but SAS Studio works on both Windows and OSX. Sorry for the confusion, I keep looking for freeware audio tools and am careful to specify OSX in my queries. I must have automatically typed it in.

Brian Lovely

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Joshua Hori
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 4:52 PM

OSX code editors may not work with JAWS since they would be Mac based and would require VoiceOver. With NotePad++, you may need to install the Plugin Manager along with the PHP Automation. There's also a HTML Tag plugin and notepadtable (for table creation) plugin you may want to consider. There's other plugins available for other programs.

But if you don't want to install plugins, try brackets.io, it's what all the cool kids are using now. Here's a video on its use with JAWS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3aGVLHrdCI

The further you get into coding, the more you may want to consider Linux as a platform. Some things just happen much faster on Linux than they will on PC. Try joining the BlindCS (Blind Computer Science) listserv on nfb.org. There's a lot of coders on that listserv who would give you great recommendations.

Joshua

Brian Lovely

DEAR FRIENDS, GREETINGS.

--
Thanks and regards
Shankar
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

Date: Thu, Jun 30 2016 3:54PM

Personally I recommend EdSharp:
https://github.com/EmpowermentZone/EdSharp

"EdSharp is a full featured text editor that is friendly, powerful, and open source. It uses a standard Windows interface for an application that supports multiple document windows. Though intended for sighted users as well, it seeks to enhance productivity for users of the JAWS, Window-Eyes, or System Access screen readers by automatically verbalizing relevant information. These speech messages supplement default speech heuristics, providing confirmation or results of commands without the need for manually interrogating the screen. If JAWS, Window-Eyes, or System Access are not detected in memory, EdSharp uses the default SAPI voice, if available, which may be configured via the Speech applet in Control Panel."

I've been using Jamal's editor for many years and do all of my programming using this.

Bryan Garaventa
Accessibility Fellow
SSB BART Group, Inc.
415.624.2709 (o)
www.SSBBartGroup.com

Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:02 PM

I was wondering why Joshua mentioned OSX specifically in his message, then finally twigged that I had claimed to search for an accessible code editor with a string that included "osx". I don't know if that's what I actually searched on or not, but SAS Studio works on both Windows and OSX. Sorry for the confusion, I keep looking for freeware audio tools and am careful to specify OSX in my queries. I must have automatically typed it in.

Brian Lovely

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Joshua Hori
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 4:52 PM

Joshua

Brian Lovely

DEAR FRIENDS, GREETINGS.

--
Thanks and regards
Shankar

Date: Thu, Jun 30 2016 4:54PM

I just realized my query string in my previous message includes "OS X". I don't know if that's what I actually searched on or not. Anyhoo,

Brian Lovely

> On Jun 30, 2016, at 9:14 AM, Lovely, Brian (CONT) < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> I personally do not know the answer to Shankar's question, but I thought Google might. I got a lot of partial matches to my query of "osx code editor that is compatible with jaws," with "jaws" being both one of the most important parts of the query and one of the most omitted from results. I did find this however: http://www.sas.com/en_us/home.html
>
> I don't know anything about this editor, this Google query response was the first time I have heard of it. Here's a quote from their documentation:
>
> "SAS Studio 3.1 has been tested against the accessibility standards for electronic information technology that were adopted by the U.S. Government under Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (2008 draft proposal initiative update). It was also tested against Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 levels A and AA, part of the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) of the Worldwide Web Consortium (W3C). For more information about the accessibility of this product, send e-mail to = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = or call SAS Technical Support.
> For best results, use JAWS with Firefox on Windows 7 and VoiceOver with Safari on OS X."
>
> Just for a lark, I opened their home page in Chrome, opened the developer tools, and ran the aXe accessibility analyzer. aXe found 19 violations, 13 of which were "links must have discernable text". The rest were color contrast and video elements missing captions and audio descriptions. Physician, heal thyself!
>
> Brian Lovely
> Digital Accessibility Team
> = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of shankar shan
> Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:09 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List
> Subject: [WebAIM] CODE EDITORS
>
> AS FOR THE SUBJECT LINE SAYS, CAN SOME ONE SUGGEST THE BEST CODE EDITORS WITH JAWS?
>
>
> I WAS USING NOTEPAD PLUS, BUT, IN THE MENU BAR, SOME OF THE HTML AND PHP CODES ARE NOT DISPLAYED HENCE, ALLWAYS I HAVE TO DEPENDS ON MANUAL CODING.
>
> i WAS ASKED ONE OF MY SIGHTED FRIEND, HE SUGGESTED ME TO GO WITH SUBLIME TEXT EDITOR, BUT, THE SUBLIME IS NOT ACCESSIBLE WIT SCREEN READERS.
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> jammed and internet hanged?Reach through the following m

Date: Thu, Jun 30 2016 9:47PM

Sean

You saying you can get Mac version of Microsoft Visual Studio? That is really interesting. As the window version is quite good. I need to check it out.

> On 30 Jun 2016, at 1:55 PM, Sean Curtis < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> I'm not sure how it is on Windows, but Visual Studio Code works pretty well
> on OSX from a brief test. I know Microsoft put a lot of effort into making
> their products accessible. I switched from a mix of IDEA/Sublime/Atom to
> purely using VS Code now. I never really saw myself using a MS product, but
> Code is a beautifully built editor. It's also insanely fast.
>
> Maybe get them to give it a go?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sean
>
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 12:09 PM, shankar shan < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> wrote:
>
>> DEAR FRIENDS, GREETINGS.
>> AS FOR THE SUBJECT LINE SAYS, CAN SOME ONE SUGGEST THE BEST CODE
>> EDITORS WITH JAWS?
>>
>>
>> I WAS USING NOTEPAD PLUS, BUT, IN THE MENU BAR, SOME OF THE HTML AND
>> PHP CODES ARE NOT DISPLAYED
>> HENCE, ALLWAYS I HAVE TO DEPENDS ON MANUAL CODING.
>>
>> i WAS ASKED ONE OF MY SIGHTED FRIEND, HE SUGGESTED ME TO GO WITH
>> SUBLIME TEXT EDITOR, BUT, THE SUBLIME IS NOT ACCESSIBLE WIT SCREEN
>> READERS.
>>
>> HOPE SOME EXPERTS WILL HELP ME.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> jammed and internet hanged?Reach through the following means:
>> mobile: +91 9599194749
>> whats app: +91 7795927572
>> skype: Shankar.a
>> email: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
>> Thanks and regards
>> Shankar
>> *****ACCESSIBILITY AND USABILITY TESTER AT HCL TECHNOLOGIES *****
>> >> >> >> >>
> > > >

Date: Thu, Jun 30 2016 10:14PM

Yeah it looks like they did a total rewrite of VS, or just wrote a lighter
version. I used VS 10 years ago and it was pretty horrible, which made me
really hesitant when a workmate told me to try it out. I'm glad I did. It's
now my go-to editor on OSX now. I'm just guessing that it's just as good on
Windows too.

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Sean Murphy < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:

> Sean
>
>
> You saying you can get Mac version of Microsoft Visual Studio? That is
> really interesting. As the window version is quite good. I need to check it
> out.
>
> > On 30 Jun 2016, at 1:55 PM, Sean Curtis < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure how it is on Windows, but Visual Studio Code works pretty
> well
> > on OSX from a brief test. I know Microsoft put a lot of effort into
> making
> > their products accessible. I switched from a mix of IDEA/Sublime/Atom to
> > purely using VS Code now. I never really saw myself using a MS product,
> but
> > Code is a beautifully built editor. It's also insanely fast.
> >
> > Maybe get them to give it a go?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Sean
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 12:09 PM, shankar shan < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> DEAR FRIENDS, GREETINGS.
> >> AS FOR THE SUBJECT LINE SAYS, CAN SOME ONE SUGGEST THE BEST CODE
> >> EDITORS WITH JAWS?
> >>
> >>
> >> I WAS USING NOTEPAD PLUS, BUT, IN THE MENU BAR, SOME OF THE HTML AND
> >> PHP CODES ARE NOT DISPLAYED
> >> HENCE, ALLWAYS I HAVE TO DEPENDS ON MANUAL CODING.
> >>
> >> i WAS ASKED ONE OF MY SIGHTED FRIEND, HE SUGGESTED ME TO GO WITH
> >> SUBLIME TEXT EDITOR, BUT, THE SUBLIME IS NOT ACCESSIBLE WIT SCREEN
> >> READERS.
> >>
> >> HOPE SOME EXPERTS WILL HELP ME.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> jammed and internet hanged?Reach through the following means:
> >> mobile: +91 9599194749
> >> whats app: +91 7795927572
> >> skype: Shankar.a
> >> email: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> >> Thanks and regards
> >> Shankar
> >> *****ACCESSIBILITY AND USABILITY TESTER AT HCL TECHNOLOGIES *****
> >> > >> > >> > >> > >>
> > > > > > > > >
> > > > >

Date: Fri, Jul 01 2016 7:21AM
← Previous message | No next message

Arrgh, sorry all. I started writing this message, then had to put the phone down for a while. I didn't intend to send it.

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Brian Lovely
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 6:55 PM

I just realized my query string in my previous message includes "OS X". I don't know if that's what I actually searched on or not. Anyhoo,

Brian Lovely

> On Jun 30, 2016, at 9:14 AM, Lovely, Brian (CONT) < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> I personally do not know the answer to Shankar's question, but I
> thought Google might. I got a lot of partial matches to my query of
> "osx code editor that is compatible with jaws," with "jaws" being both
> one of the most important parts of the query and one of the most
> omitted from results. I did find this however:
> http://www.sas.com/en_us/home.html
>
> I don't know anything about this editor, this Google query response was the first time I have heard of it. Here's a quote from their documentation:
>
> "SAS Studio 3.1 has been tested against the accessibility standards for electronic information technology that were adopted by the U.S. Government under Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (2008 draft proposal initiative update). It was also tested against Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 levels A and AA, part of the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) of the Worldwide Web Consortium (W3C). For more information about the accessibility of this product, send e-mail to = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = or call SAS Technical Support.
> For best results, use JAWS with Firefox on Windows 7 and VoiceOver with Safari on OS X."
>
> Just for a lark, I opened their home page in Chrome, opened the developer tools, and ran the aXe accessibility analyzer. aXe found 19 violations, 13 of which were "links must have discernable text". The rest were color contrast and video elements missing captions and audio descriptions. Physician, heal thyself!
>
> Brian Lovely
> Digital Accessibility Team
> = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On
> Behalf Of shankar shan
> Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 10:09 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List
> Subject: [WebAIM] CODE EDITORS
>
> AS FOR THE SUBJECT LINE SAYS, CAN SOME ONE SUGGEST THE BEST CODE EDITORS WITH JAWS?
>
>
> I WAS USING NOTEPAD PLUS, BUT, IN THE MENU BAR, SOME OF THE HTML AND PHP CODES ARE NOT DISPLAYED HENCE, ALLWAYS I HAVE TO DEPENDS ON MANUAL CODING.
>
> i WAS ASKED ONE OF MY SIGHTED FRIEND, HE SUGGESTED ME TO GO WITH SUBLIME TEXT EDITOR, BUT, THE SUBLIME IS NOT ACCESSIBLE WIT SCREEN READERS.
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> jammed and internet hanged?Reach through the following m