WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: problem with pop up windows

for

Number of posts in this thread: 11 (In chronological order)

Date: Wed, Jan 18 2017 12:28PM
Subject: problem with pop up windows
No previous message | Next message →

Hello Everyone,
I'm not an everyday user of JAWS, I'm a software reviewer. I have popup window on my page and content of the window is not read when the popup window is opened ( I tried NVDA & JAWS). I can't find the related error with the Wave evaluation to report back to the vendors. What is your suggestion in this matter?

Thanks
Shiva Pourgholaminejad
Graduate Research Assistant
Disability Resources Center
University of Nevada, Reno

Date: Wed, Jan 18 2017 12:30PM
Subject: Re: problem with pop up windows
← Previous message | Next message →

Is this an alert, like a warning that requires immediate action, or a modal?

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Shiva Pourgholaminejad
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:29 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] problem with pop up windows

Hello Everyone,
I'm not an everyday user of JAWS, I'm a software reviewer. I have popup window on my page and content of the window is not read when the popup window is opened ( I tried NVDA & JAWS). I can't find the related error with the Wave evaluation to report back to the vendors. What is your suggestion in this matter?

Thanks
Shiva Pourgholaminejad

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

Date: Wed, Jan 18 2017 12:33PM

It's a modal.

Shiva Pourgholaminejad

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Lovely, Brian (CONT)
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:31 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] problem with pop up windows

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Shiva Pourgholaminejad

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Shiva Pourgholaminejad

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

Date: Wed, Jan 18 2017 12:41PM

I like Start Building Accessible Web Applications Today<https://egghead.io/courses/start-building-accessible-web-applications-today> - an excellent series of video tutorials by Marcy Sutton. There's one on dialogues.

Joseph

> -----Original Message-----

> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf

> Of Shiva Pourgholaminejad

> Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:34 PM

> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >

> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] problem with pop up windows

>

> It's a modal.

>

> Shiva Pourgholaminejad

> Graduate Research Assistant

> Disability Resources Center

> University of Nevada, Reno

>

> Of Lovely, Brian (CONT)

> Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:31 AM

> To: WebAIM Discussion List

>

> Is this an alert, like a warning that requires immediate action, or a modal?

>

> Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:29 PM

> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = <mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >>

> Subject: [WebAIM] problem with pop up windows

>

>

> Hello Everyone,

> I'm not an everyday user of JAWS, I'm a software reviewer. I have popup window on

> my page and content of the window is not read when the popup window is opened (

> I tried NVDA & JAWS). I can't find the related error with the Wave evaluation to

> report back to the vendors. What is your suggestion in this matter?

>

> Thanks

> Shiva Pourgholaminejad

>

>
> > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives

> >
>

> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital

> One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or

> services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for

> use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this

> message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review,

> retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any

> action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received

> this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from

> your computer.

>

> >

>

Date: Wed, Jan 18 2017 12:43PM

The content of a modal doesn't need to automatically read out. The main concern is to make sure that the user can consume the modal content, using the tab key and virtual cursor (arrow keys). Ensure that focus is trapped in the modal (in other words when moving through the modal content from top to bottom, when the last piece of content is moved off of, focus goes back to the first, and vice versa. This is to avoid a situation where the user accidently moves off the modal content and runs the risk of becoming lost in the page content and not being able to find their way back to the modal. Also, ensure that when the modal is closed focus is returned to the element that originally triggered the modal. This is to ensure that the user can easily pick up where they left off when they originally opened the modal. For instance, if a user encounters a button labelled "edit profile", activates it, and successfully completes editing their profile within a modal, when that modal is dismissed the user is right back with focus on the "edit profile" button.

To reiterate, you don't need to automatically read out all content, just empower the user to consume the content at their own pace, using a combination of the tab key, screen reader shortcut keys, and the arrow buttons.

Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:34 PM

It's a modal.

Shiva Pourgholaminejad

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Lovely, Brian (CONT)
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:31 AM

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Shiva Pourgholaminejad

Date: Wed, Jan 18 2017 12:46PM

Hi Shiva,

It's a possibility that role=dialog is to blame for that. If you have text in your modal dialog that is not focusable, then you'll need to turn off forms mode in NVDA by hitting Insert + Space or the Esc key in JAWS.

Let me know if you have role=dialog on the dialog container and if this is the case.

Nick

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Shiva Pourgholaminejad

Date: Wed, Jan 18 2017 4:11PM

Very useful videos, thank you so much

Shiva Pourgholaminejad

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Joseph Sherman
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:42 AM

I like Start Building Accessible Web Applications Today<https://egghead.io/courses/start-building-accessible-web-applications-today> - an excellent series of video tutorials by Marcy Sutton. There's one on dialogues.

Joseph

> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On
> Behalf

> Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:34 PM

>

> It's a modal.

>

> Shiva Pourgholaminejad

>

> Behalf

> Of Lovely, Brian (CONT)

> Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:31 AM

>

> Is this an alert, like a warning that requires immediate action, or a modal?

>

> Behalf

> < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = <mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >>

>

>

> Hello Everyone,

> I'm not an everyday user of JAWS, I'm a software reviewer. I have
> popup window on

> my page and content of the window is not read when the popup window is
> opened (

> I tried NVDA & JAWS). I can't find the related error with the Wave
> evaluation to

> report back to the vendors. What is your suggestion in this matter?

>

> Thanks

> Shiva Pourgholaminejad

>

>
> > archives at

> http://webaim.org/discussion/archives

> > = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = <mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >

>
>

> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or
> proprietary to Capital

> One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance
> of work or

> services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is
> intended only for

> use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the
> reader of this

> message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
> any review,

> retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of,
> or taking of any

> action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If
> you have received

> this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the
> material from

> your computer.

>
> > archives at

>
> > archives at

Date: Wed, Jan 18 2017 4:50PM

I can't see any role actually.
It seems like a table.
Here is a link if you don't mind looking at http://asun.verbacompare.com/

Really appreciate your help.

Shiva Pourgholaminejad

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Beranek, Nicholas
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:47 AM

Hi Shiva,

It's a possibility that role=dialog is to blame for that. If you have text in your modal dialog that is not focusable, then you'll need to turn off forms mode in NVDA by hitting Insert + Space or the Esc key in JAWS.

Let me know if you have role=dialog on the dialog container and if this is the case.

Nick

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Shiva Pourgholaminejad

Date: Thu, Jan 19 2017 1:12AM

Hi Shiva,

I am unable to locate the link or button that is populating the modal.
However you can try switching to browse mode and read the content in the
modal.

Eg: After the modal is opened press insert space to move from focus mode to
browse mode. in NVDA. with JAWS use escape to switch to browse mode.

Else provide the navigation path to find the modal you are talking about.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 5:20 AM, Shiva Pourgholaminejad <
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:

> I can't see any role actually.
> It seems like a table.
> Here is a link if you don't mind looking at
> http://asun.verbacompare.com/
>
> Really appreciate your help.
>
> Shiva Pourgholaminejad
>
> Behalf Of Beranek, Nicholas
> Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:47 AM
>
> Hi Shiva,
>
> It's a possibility that role=dialog is to blame for that. If you have text
> in your modal dialog that is not focusable, then you'll need to turn off
> forms mode in NVDA by hitting Insert + Space or the Esc key in JAWS.
>
> Let me know if you have role=dialog on the dialog container and if this is
> the case.
>
> Nick
>
> Behalf Of Shiva Pourgholaminejad
>
>
> Hello Everyone,
> I'm not an everyday user of JAWS, I'm a software reviewer. I have popup
> window on my page and content of the window is not read when the popup
> window is opened ( I tried NVDA & JAWS). I can't find the related error
> with the Wave evaluation to report back to the vendors. What is your
> suggestion in this matter?
>
> Thanks
> Shiva Pourgholaminejad
>
> > > at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > >
> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or
> proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used
> solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information
> transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity
> to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
> recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission,
> dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any
> action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you
> have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and
> delete the material from your computer.
> > > at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > > >

Date: Thu, Jan 19 2017 6:47AM

The entire thing is hidden from screen readers with aria-hidden="true".

<div aria-hidden="true" class="context-wrapper">

Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:50 PM

It seems like a table.

Shiva Pourgholaminejad

From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Beranek, Nicholas

Hi Shiva,

Nick

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Shiva Pourgholaminejad

Date: Thu, Jan 19 2017 12:06PM
← Previous message | No next message

As an FYI, you can use Visual ARIA to easily catch issues such as this by running the bookmarklet on your page.
http://whatsock.com/training/matrices/visual-aria.htm

You will see everything disappear where aria-hidden is improperly being used.

Bryan Garaventa
Accessibility Fellow
SSB BART Group, Inc.
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
415.624.2709 (o)
www.SSBBartGroup.com

Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2017 5:48 AM

The entire thing is hidden from screen readers with aria-hidden="true".

<div aria-hidden="true" class="context-wrapper">

Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:50 PM

It seems like a table.

Shiva Pourgholaminejad

Hi Shiva,

Nick

Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Shiva Pourgholaminejad