WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: 4.1.2 Question

for

Number of posts in this thread: 4 (In chronological order)

Date: Fri, Jan 20 2017 12:21PM
Subject: 4.1.2 Question
No previous message | Next message →

Hi,
I want to double ccheck that the logic I'm using to test something prooves that it is broken in applying 4.1.2. I'm saying that it fails. Below is my logic for testing.

· The item is in the first row of a table

· It has a role of table column header

· I can tab to it

· It speaks great messages that tell me what the text is, how the column is sorted, how to work with it, and how to use it.

· It sppeaks clickable, but does not say "button," or "link," or something that would automatically tell me that I can use the keyboard to change it.

· I'm failing it because I feel that the word clickable indicates what I can do to activate it, rather than what it is. I feel that maybe the developer should add a role or in some other way tell me that I can use my screen reader as I am trained to do. Am I being too strict here?
Thanks.

Jim

=========Jim Homme,
Team Lead and Accessibility Consultant,
Bender HighTest Accessibility Team
Bender Consulting Services, Inc.,
412-787-8567,
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
http://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions
E+R=O

Date: Fri, Jan 20 2017 12:38PM
Subject: Re: 4.1.2 Question
← Previous message | Next message →

I would be inclined to agree. It's difficult to say how to fix it without seeing exactly how the code is written but I would want to see something that conveys the role i.e. that the sort order will change.

This is not a native HTML behaviour so I would also recommend some explanatory text before the table, explaining that the column headers are links that change the sort order. Although this is potentially of benefit to everyone, most clients choose to position it off-screen so it is only presented to screen reader users. However, I don't think it is necessary for WCAG compliance.

Steve Green
Managing Director
Test Partners Ltd

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Jim Homme
Sent: 20 January 2017 19:21
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] 4.1.2 Question

Hi,
I want to double ccheck that the logic I'm using to test something prooves that it is broken in applying 4.1.2. I'm saying that it fails. Below is my logic for testing.

· I can tab to it

· It speaks great messages that tell me what the text is, how the column is sorted, how to work with it, and how to use it.

· It sppeaks clickable, but does not say "button," or "link," or something that would automatically tell me that I can use the keyboard to change it.

· I'm failing it because I feel that the word clickable indicates what I can do to activate it, rather than what it is. I feel that maybe the developer should add a role or in some other way tell me that I can use my screen reader as I am trained to do. Am I being too strict here?
Thanks.

Jim

=========Jim Homme,
412-787-8567,
http://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions
E+R=O

Date: Fri, Jan 20 2017 12:39PM
← Previous message | Next message →

I feel a) that it is important to specify the type of interactive element (button or link), and b) that it is important to use the correct element. My take on this is that a link directs the browser to another page, whereas a button performs an action on the current page. As long as you use the correct element in the first place and also apply the correct role (or use a native button or anchor), then the user not only knows the element can be activated, but already has some sense of what to expect when the element is activated.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Jim Homme
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2017 2:21 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] 4.1.2 Question

Hi,

· I can tab to it

Thanks.

Jim

=========Jim Homme,
412-787-8567,
E+R=O

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

Date: Fri, Jan 20 2017 12:40PM
← Previous message | No next message

Jim
No, 4.1.2 states that all actionable elements must have a name, a rol
and a value (though value is broad, sometimes it needs a state).

In your case the elements need role="button". If you can toggle these
elements on and off you have to use aria-pressed="true" when activated
and aria-pressed="false" when not (in which case we call them toggle
buttons).

On 1/20/17, Jim Homme < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to double ccheck that the logic I'm using to test something prooves
> that it is broken in applying 4.1.2. I'm saying that it fails. Below is my
> logic for testing.
>
>
> · The item is in the first row of a table
>
> · It has a role of table column header
>
> · I can tab to it
>
> · It speaks great messages that tell me what the text is, how the
> column is sorted, how to work with it, and how to use it.
>
> · It sppeaks clickable, but does not say "button," or "link," or
> something that would automatically tell me that I can use the keyboard to
> change it.
>
> · I'm failing it because I feel that the word clickable indicates
> what I can do to activate it, rather than what it is. I feel that maybe the
> developer should add a role or in some other way tell me that I can use my
> screen reader as I am trained to do. Am I being too strict here?
> Thanks.
>
> Jim
>
>
> =========> Jim Homme,
> Team Lead and Accessibility Consultant,
> Bender HighTest Accessibility Team
> Bender Consulting Services, Inc.,
> 412-787-8567,
> = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> http://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions
> E+R=O
>
> > > > >

--
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.