WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: getting different result using IE and Chrome

for

Number of posts in this thread: 4 (In chronological order)

Date: Mon, Jul 17 2017 4:14PM
Subject: getting different result using IE and Chrome
No previous message | Next message →

Hello All,

Quick question,
I've been testing a web page's accessibility with keyboard-only. I 'm having different results using Chrome and IE.
Chrome works perfectly, but when using IE, there is a loss of focus and cannot tab through the focusable items.
Have you had the same experiences? Is it related to the browser or the web page?

Thank you

Shiva Pourgholaminejad
Graduate Research Assistant
Disability Resources Center
University of Nevada, Reno

Date: Tue, Jul 18 2017 6:53AM
Subject: Re: getting different result using IE and Chrome
← Previous message | Next message →

Based on the description of the problem, it could be either. You may need to try to isolate the problem further. You might want to start by trying to determine which aspects of the HTML, CSS< and Javascript contribute to the problem. Others on this list may also have additional suggestions for isolating and identifying the problem so you can figure out its origin.

Thanks,
Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Shiva Pourgholaminejad
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2017 5:14 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] getting different result using IE and Chrome

Hello All,

Quick question,
I've been testing a web page's accessibility with keyboard-only. I 'm having different results using Chrome and IE.
Chrome works perfectly, but when using IE, there is a loss of focus and cannot tab through the focusable items.
Have you had the same experiences? Is it related to the browser or the web page?

Thank you

Shiva Pourgholaminejad
Graduate Research Assistant
Disability Resources Center
University of Nevada, Reno

Date: Tue, Jul 18 2017 7:26AM
← Previous message | Next message →

Are you using any screen reader technology? In some sites items wither hidden offscreen, the tab order will still go there, and JAWS / NVDA will still speak the item but you can't see focus borders. I have seen a few other weird tab order issues especially in sites that make use of flash.

Best wishes,

Jonathan Cohn

> On Jul 17, 2017, at 6:14 PM, Shiva Pourgholaminejad < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> Hello All,
>
> Quick question,
> I've been testing a web page's accessibility with keyboard-only. I 'm having different results using Chrome and IE.
> Chrome works perfectly, but when using IE, there is a loss of focus and cannot tab through the focusable items.
> Have you had the same experiences? Is it related to the browser or the web page?
>
> Thank you
>
> Shiva Pourgholaminejad
> Graduate Research Assistant
> Disability Resources Center
> University of Nevada, Reno
>
> > > >

Date: Wed, Jul 26 2017 3:19PM
← Previous message | No next message

Note that by default Chrome has a light blue focus indicator, while IE uses a dotted outline. The blue box in chrome is usually easier to see than the dotted line box in IE, so you may be experiencing the loss of focus in IE due to difficulty of seeing the dotted outline.

Joseph

> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf
> Of Shiva Pourgholaminejad
> Sent: Monday, July 17, 2017 6:14 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Subject: [WebAIM] getting different result using IE and Chrome
>
> Hello All,
>
> Quick question,
> I've been testing a web page's accessibility with keyboard-only. I 'm having different
> results using Chrome and IE.
> Chrome works perfectly, but when using IE, there is a loss of focus and cannot tab
> through the focusable items.
> Have you had the same experiences? Is it related to the browser or the web page?
>
> Thank you
>
> Shiva Pourgholaminejad
> Graduate Research Assistant
> Disability Resources Center
> University of Nevada, Reno
>
> > > http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>