WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Query about focus lost issue in mobile

for

Number of posts in this thread: 4 (In chronological order)

Date: Tue, Nov 07 2017 10:54PM
Subject: Query about focus lost issue in mobile
No previous message | Next message →

Hi, Greetings!

I have been testing on mobile apps in both Android and IOS and very
frequently I observed whenever I am completing the action the focus seems
to be falling on whole screen but not on the expected item. User has to
swipe again from the top to continue from where I left previously after
performing each action.
Let me eloborate this with a quick example. I have details page with
actions like renaming item, adding emoji, adding reminder, adding due date
etc. on a screen with dismiss and done buttons as first two items. For
instance activating due date will take me to a new screen asking me to set
a due date facilitating with a done button to save the due date. Once after
saving due date focus comes back to details screen and focus instead of
landing on due date button falls on whole screen. Now my concerns are
1. I feel focus should land on due date button but unfortunately not only
in the narrated example, whenever I perform a action from a new screen or
popup focus always moves to the top of the screen pushing user to swipe
from top each time. I am told that's the way how Android and IOS behaves
when I raised the concern. So is this really the expected behavior or it's
due to focus management issue?
2. As I said focus lands on whole screen on performing any action and I am
presuming that at this point focus will not be visible as it didn't focus
any item on the screen.. Does this fail focus visible 2.4.7?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Thanks,
Venkatesh

Date: Wed, Nov 08 2017 12:28AM
Subject: Re: Query about focus lost issue in mobile
← Previous message | Next message →

> 2. As I said focus lands on whole screen on performing any action and I am presuming that at this point focus will not be visible as it didn't focus any item on the screen.. Does this fail focus visible 2.4.7?

In my experience on iOS after entering text an input field with the on-screen keyboard with VoiceOver and then tapping done focus is often placed on a randomish place somewhere close to where the location on the screen where I tapped done but not where you would expect it to return to.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
Level Access, inc. (formerly SSB BART Group, inc.)
= EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
703.637.8957 (Office)
Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!

The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Vemaarapu Venkatesh
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 12:54 AM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] Query about focus lost issue in mobile

Hi, Greetings!

I have been testing on mobile apps in both Android and IOS and very frequently I observed whenever I am completing the action the focus seems to be falling on whole screen but not on the expected item. User has to swipe again from the top to continue from where I left previously after performing each action.
Let me eloborate this with a quick example. I have details page with actions like renaming item, adding emoji, adding reminder, adding due date etc. on a screen with dismiss and done buttons as first two items. For instance activating due date will take me to a new screen asking me to set a due date facilitating with a done button to save the due date. Once after saving due date focus comes back to details screen and focus instead of landing on due date button falls on whole screen. Now my concerns are 1. I feel focus should land on due date button but unfortunately not only in the narrated example, whenever I perform a action from a new screen or popup focus always moves to the top of the screen pushing user to swipe from top each time. I am told that's the way how Android and IOS behaves when I raised the concern. So is this really the expected behavior or it's due to focus management issue?
2. As I said focus lands on whole screen on performing any action and I am presuming that at this point focus will not be visible as it didn't focus any item on the screen.. Does this fail focus visible 2.4.7?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Thanks,
Venkatesh

Date: Mon, Nov 20 2017 5:28AM
← Previous message | Next message →

Indeed. This behaviour is very annoying. I has been discussed discussed extensively on this list, an there doesn't seems to be a solution.

It's actually not a even considered 'bug'. iOS developers built this behaviour in 'by design'.

Roel

> On 8 Nov 2017, at 08:28, Jonathan Avila < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
>> 2. As I said focus lands on whole screen on performing any action and I am presuming that at this point focus will not be visible as it didn't focus any item on the screen.. Does this fail focus visible 2.4.7?
>
> In my experience on iOS after entering text an input field with the on-screen keyboard with VoiceOver and then tapping done focus is often placed on a randomish place somewhere close to where the location on the screen where I tapped done but not where you would expect it to return to.
>
> Jonathan
>
> Jonathan Avila
> Chief Accessibility Officer
> Level Access, inc. (formerly SSB BART Group, inc.)
> = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> 703.637.8957 (Office)
> Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
> Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!
>
> The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Vemaarapu Venkatesh
> Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 12:54 AM
> To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> Subject: [WebAIM] Query about focus lost issue in mobile
>
> Hi, Greetings!
>
> I have been testing on mobile apps in both Android and IOS and very frequently I observed whenever I am completing the action the focus seems to be falling on whole screen but not on the expected item. User has to swipe again from the top to continue from where I left previously after performing each action.
> Let me eloborate this with a quick example. I have details page with actions like renaming item, adding emoji, adding reminder, adding due date etc. on a screen with dismiss and done buttons as first two items. For instance activating due date will take me to a new screen asking me to set a due date facilitating with a done button to save the due date. Once after saving due date focus comes back to details screen and focus instead of landing on due date button falls on whole screen. Now my concerns are 1. I feel focus should land on due date button but unfortunately not only in the narrated example, whenever I perform a action from a new screen or popup focus always moves to the top of the screen pushing user to swipe from top each time. I am told that's the way how Android and IOS behaves when I raised the concern. So is this really the expected behavior or it's due to focus management issue?
> 2. As I said focus lands on whole screen on performing any action and I am presuming that at this point focus will not be visible as it didn't focus any item on the screen.. Does this fail focus visible 2.4.7?
>
> Thanks in advance for your inputs.
>
> Thanks,
> Venkatesh
> > > > > > >

Date: Thu, Nov 23 2017 6:02PM
← Previous message | No next message

If this is not regarded as a defect or an accessibility issue. Then it should change. AS the focus should land back on the last control you were using. This is basic UX design from my point of view. If you open a dialog on the desktop by activating a button for example. Focus should go back to the button.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Roel Van Gils
Sent: Monday, 20 November 2017 11:28 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Query about focus lost issue in mobile

Indeed. This behaviour is very annoying. I has been discussed discussed extensively on this list, an there doesn't seems to be a solution.

It's actually not a even considered 'bug'. iOS developers built this behaviour in 'by design'.

Roel

> On 8 Nov 2017, at 08:28, Jonathan Avila < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
>> 2. As I said focus lands on whole screen on performing any action and I am presuming that at this point focus will not be visible as it didn't focus any item on the screen.. Does this fail focus visible 2.4.7?
>
> In my experience on iOS after entering text an input field with the on-screen keyboard with VoiceOver and then tapping done focus is often placed on a randomish place somewhere close to where the location on the screen where I tapped done but not where you would expect it to return to.
>
> Jonathan
>
> Jonathan Avila
> Chief Accessibility Officer
> Level Access, inc. (formerly SSB BART Group, inc.)
> = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> 703.637.8957 (Office)
> Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Blog
> Looking to boost your accessibility knowledge? Check out our free webinars!
>
> The information contained in this transmission may be attorney privileged and/or confidential information intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On
> Behalf Of Vemaarapu Venkatesh
> Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2017 12:54 AM
> To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
> Subject: [WebAIM] Query about focus lost issue in mobile
>
> Hi, Greetings!
>
> I have been testing on mobile apps in both Android and IOS and very frequently I observed whenever I am completing the action the focus seems to be falling on whole screen but not on the expected item. User has to swipe again from the top to continue from where I left previously after performing each action.
> Let me eloborate this with a quick example. I have details page with actions like renaming item, adding emoji, adding reminder, adding due date etc. on a screen with dismiss and done buttons as first two items. For instance activating due date will take me to a new screen asking me to set a due date facilitating with a done button to save the due date. Once after saving due date focus comes back to details screen and focus instead of landing on due date button falls on whole screen. Now my concerns are 1. I feel focus should land on due date button but unfortunately not only in the narrated example, whenever I perform a action from a new screen or popup focus always moves to the top of the screen pushing user to swipe from top each time. I am told that's the way how Android and IOS behaves when I raised the concern. So is this really the expected behavior or it's due to focus management issue?
>
> Thanks in advance for your inputs.
>
> Thanks,
> Venkatesh
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> > > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
>