WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: navigation and accessibility - is the back button enough?

for

Number of posts in this thread: 5 (In chronological order)

Date: Wed, Aug 22 2018 7:16AM
Subject: navigation and accessibility - is the back button enough?
No previous message | Next message →

hey all,

I am hoping someone can help me figure out if 3.2.3 Consistent
Navigation applies here.

A section of a site has a landing page with five links on it -

"About us" is the landing page, and it has links to

* who we are
  * what we do
  * mission
  * values
  * history

Click any of these links and you get to a page with *no* links to any of
the other "About us" pages. The only way to go through all five links is
to click the back button and go back and forth.

Does this count as inconsistent navigation? It's really missing
navigation. Navigational mechanisms are NOT being repeated on multiple
Web pages. Is there some other WCAG guideline that applies? Is this
actually ok?!

thanks so much!
Sandy

Date: Wed, Aug 22 2018 7:55AM
Subject: Re: [External Sender] navigation and accessibility - is the back button enough?
← Previous message | Next message →

Hi Sandy,

I think that SC 2.4.5 Multiple Ways is more appropriate here:

"More than one way is available to locate a Web page within a set of Web pages except where the Web Page is the result of, or a step in, a process."

As you mentioned, SC 3.2.3 is for when navigation is repeated on multiple pages in the same relative order (e.g. same position relative to others). Since no navigation is present, then it does not apply.

I hope that this helps!

Nick Beranek
Capital One

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Sandy Feldman
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 9:16 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [External Sender] [WebAIM] navigation and accessibility - is the back button enough?

hey all,

I am hoping someone can help me figure out if 3.2.3 Consistent Navigation applies here.

* who we are
  * what we do
  * mission
  * values
  * history

Click any of these links and you get to a page with *no* links to any of the other "About us" pages. The only way to go through all five links is to click the back button and go back and forth.

Does this count as inconsistent navigation? It's really missing navigation. Navigational mechanisms are NOT being repeated on multiple Web pages. Is there some other WCAG guideline that applies? Is this actually ok?!

thanks so much!
Sandy

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.

Date: Wed, Aug 22 2018 8:07AM
Subject: Re: [External Sender] navigation and accessibility - is the back button enough?

Does it EVER help! Thanks so much Nicholas. I needed something to point
to here and you found it.

best, Sandy

On 2018-08-22 9:55 AM, Beranek, Nicholas via WebAIM-Forum wrote:
> Hi Sandy,
>
> I think that SC 2.4.5 Multiple Ways is more appropriate here:
>
> "More than one way is available to locate a Web page within a set of Web pages except where the Web Page is the result of, or a step in, a process."
>
> As you mentioned, SC 3.2.3 is for when navigation is repeated on multiple pages in the same relative order (e.g. same position relative to others). Since no navigation is present, then it does not apply.
>
> I hope that this helps!
>
> Nick Beranek
> Capital One
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Sandy Feldman
> Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 9:16 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Subject: [External Sender] [WebAIM] navigation and accessibility - is the back button enough?
>
> hey all,
>
> I am hoping someone can help me figure out if 3.2.3 Consistent Navigation applies here.
>
> A section of a site has a landing page with five links on it -
>
> "About us" is the landing page, and it has links to
>
>   * who we are
>   * what we do
>   * mission
>   * values
>   * history
>
> Click any of these links and you get to a page with *no* links to any of the other "About us" pages. The only way to go through all five links is to click the back button and go back and forth.
>
> Does this count as inconsistent navigation? It's really missing navigation. Navigational mechanisms are NOT being repeated on multiple Web pages. Is there some other WCAG guideline that applies? Is this actually ok?!
>
> thanks so much!
> Sandy
> >
> The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in performance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted herewith is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.
> > > > --
Sandy

sandyfeldman.com
sandyfeldman.tumblr.com/
ca.linkedin.com/in/sandyfeldman
inclusivemedia.ca

Date: Wed, Aug 22 2018 8:21AM
Subject: Re: navigation and accessibility - is the back button enough?

That's a tough one for me. I don't know if 3.2.3 would be the issue, but I'd be concerned about 2.4.8 - location. It's a AAA.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Sandy Feldman
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 8:16 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] navigation and accessibility - is the back button enough?

hey all,

I am hoping someone can help me figure out if 3.2.3 Consistent Navigation applies here.

* who we are
* what we do
* mission
* values
* history

Click any of these links and you get to a page with *no* links to any of the other "About us" pages. The only way to go through all five links is to click the back button and go back and forth.

Does this count as inconsistent navigation? It's really missing navigation. Navigational mechanisms are NOT being repeated on multiple Web pages. Is there some other WCAG guideline that applies? Is this actually ok?!

thanks so much!
Sandy

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.

Date: Wed, Aug 22 2018 8:28AM
Subject: Re: navigation and accessibility - is the back button enough?
← Previous message | No next message

2.4.8 is what I was looking for.

I can't think of a more effective way to lose someone in a web site than
not to provide navigation. Expecting everyone, including people with
cognitive disabilities, to just remember where they were and go back
seems unrealistic to me.

Sandy

On 2018-08-22 10:21 AM, Meacham, Steve - FSA, Kansas City, MO wrote:
> That's a tough one for me. I don't know if 3.2.3 would be the issue, but I'd be concerned about 2.4.8 - location. It's a AAA.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Sandy Feldman
> Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2018 8:16 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Subject: [WebAIM] navigation and accessibility - is the back button enough?
>
> hey all,
>
> I am hoping someone can help me figure out if 3.2.3 Consistent Navigation applies here.
>
> A section of a site has a landing page with five links on it -
>
> "About us" is the landing page, and it has links to
>
> * who we are
> * what we do
> * mission
> * values
> * history
>
> Click any of these links and you get to a page with *no* links to any of the other "About us" pages. The only way to go through all five links is to click the back button and go back and forth.
>
> Does this count as inconsistent navigation? It's really missing navigation. Navigational mechanisms are NOT being repeated on multiple Web pages. Is there some other WCAG guideline that applies? Is this actually ok?!
>
> thanks so much!
> Sandy
>
>
> > > >
>
>
>
> This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.
> > > > >

--
Sandy

sandyfeldman.com
sandyfeldman.tumblr.com/
ca.linkedin.com/in/sandyfeldman
inclusivemedia.ca