WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

When will developers be able to rely on ARIA?

for

Date: Mar 4, 2009 8:20AM

Hi,

My company develops web self service websites and we are working to make our pages more accessible.
In our latest version, we are using more "web 2.0" technologies and it looks like we're running into a bit of a barrier. One example is our dialogs and alerts which, instead of using traditional window.open and window.alert methods, use div overlays styled to look like dialogs and alerts.

If you'd like to see an example try the
"Email this page" functionality (dialog for gathering emails - you can send one to yourself. then after it's sent there is an alert, which JAWS doesn't read at all) here:
http://canoncanada.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5949

I've added aria to the controls, and my tests in FF3 and IE8 are positive. The dialgos sound like dialgos, and the alerts sound like alerts. But when will we be able to release such technology with confidence that users will reap the benefits? We're planning on releasing in November. It sounds like IE8 will be out by then, but will many people be using it? Since the accessibility benefits of ARIA are so revolutionary, do we expect the adoption rate to be high? WAI-ARIA is in last call working draft, so we don't know how long that will take to finalize, but there seems to be good support for major browsers and major screen readers. The question is will it be soon enough?

Thanks,

Dallas

Dallas Despain | RightNow Technologies | Developer | 406-556-3454 | Salt Lake City, UT