WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: CAPTCHA Question

for

Date: Apr 2, 2010 10:24AM

The only thing I would add to Michael's excellent summary is that some of the task-based CAPTCHAs (e.g., those requiring completion of an addition problem) can be problematic for people with various types of cognitive disabilities, people who are not fluent in the language in which the CAPTCHA is provided, and so on.

--Jane Vincent, Center for Accessible Technology

--- On Fri, 4/2/10, Moore,Michael (DARS) < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

Subject: Re: [WebAIM] CAPTCHA Question
To: "WebAIM Discussion List" < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Date: Friday, April 2, 2010, 8:04 AM

Personally I would like to see visual and audio captcha eliminated entirely. As Jared has pointed out many times there are other methods that can be employed that are at least as effective. I recently (last weekend) attempted a password recovery for a popular web service and it took me 5 tries with the visual captcha before I was presented with one that I could actually make out, and my vision is 20-20 when wearing my glasses. After the third try I attempted the audio version and could not make that out at all. Of course too much rock and roll may have affected my hearing.

In my own personal warped opinion visual and auditory captcha are security snake sold to unwitting clients.

Finally to answer the original question, no a link to request access is not equivalent access and is therefore not accessible. It is also just bad business, equivalent to telling someone that they and anyone like them need to sit in the the back of the bus.

Mike Moore