WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Usefulness of "Opens in New window" Indicator for non-blindness

for

Date: Feb 6, 2013 5:12PM

I'd say the same would be true if you had "new window," many, many times. I understand that sometimes especially in tables that have the same link but the table is different like (Accounts Payable) (Accounts receivable) it's ok to have "account number," as maybe a detail link. But I don't get why if you're going to have links that take you to a new window, why you can't put the "opens a new window," or "new Window" after the actual name of the link. Maybe I missed part of this thread but that's how I see it, especially from a links list perspective.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 3:50 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List; WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Usefulness of "Opens in New window" Indicator for non-blindness

If there is going to be information alerting the user that a new window is going to open, and especially if you're going to have a lot of such links on a page (such as a page of resources), please please try not to start each link with "opens in a new window." "New window" is at least shorter.

If there are a handful in a row, that's not such a big deal, I think.

But imagine if I used a list of links and that's what I heard for each link for 20 or 50, in a row? And imagine how many links would start with first letter "O" (for "Opens") in the list?

In an ideal world, it'd be great to indicate this after the words of the link text.

That's my two cents, anyway. My ears and brain thank you for considering audio overload.

Best,
Jennifer