WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: How JAWS provides labels for unlabelled forms in somescenario's

for

Date: Jul 12, 2016 11:22PM

Now, some further questions
1. Can someone provide with links to pages where JAWS is announcing the labels wrong?
2. Do NVDA also do such guess work?

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Birkir R. Gunnarsson
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:27 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] How JAWS provides labels for unlabelled forms in some scenario's

I don't think there is anything public about how screen readers guess form field labels (and they should never have to).
There are fairly simple things, such as Jaws will likely speak any text that is inside same container as the form field, especially text that preceeds it.
In general screen readers will look for text around the form field and announce it.
If form field is laid out in a two-colum table with the form field in the second column, Jaws will read the value in the first column of same row as the formfield's label.
You can play around with different placements in HTML and figure out what screen readers will do.
While it is a somewaht interesting exercise I wouldn't spend too much time on it, since the whole point is that authors should assign the labels explicitly, otherwise the screen readers will all guess, and they will inevitably get it wrong some of the time.
-B

On 7/12/16, sucharu < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I wish to learn about
>
> 'how JAWS provides labels for some unlabeled forms in some
> situations'.I wish to learn about algorithms that JAWS run in order to meet this.
>
> Best,
>
> Sucharu
>
> > > archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives
> >

--
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.