WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: PDF files have user default language set for some tags(<P>, <LBody>, <Link>)

for

Date: Apr 6, 2017 10:10AM

I am afraid you have to do it manually. Word does that in case you use different languages. When you convert to PDF, some settings get lost during the conversion. I know it is a royal pain.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Dona Patrick
Sent: Thursday, April 6, 2017 11:01 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] PDF files have user default language set for some tags (<P>, <LBody>, <Link>)

I've just finished remediating a 370 page PDF Spanish language file. I ran it through JAWS and realized that some of the text was being read in Spanish but some were being read in English. When I checked the content of the tags that were being read in English I noticed that the tag properties had English - US listed as the language.

I'd not noticed this before and wondered if I'd accidently enabled a setting in either Acrobat Pro or Word to make this happen. I tested it on both my home and work computers and found that when a Word file was converted to PDF using the Acrobat ribbon or the Save As PDF option on the File menu, English -- US was applied to many tags. When I used the Save option on the File menu and chose PDF from the Save As dialog box, this did not happen -- the language was clear in the tags properties.

Is there any way to remove the language from all of the tag properties in one go or am I doomed to do it for each and every tag? I promised this file to the client by next Thursday and have already spent far too long on it.

Are there settings I have enabled that I should disable to stop this from happening in the future?

I did see a thread that discussed this, but it only discussed this issue in regards to InDesign: http://webaim.org/discussion/mail_thread?threadV87

Thank you,

Dona