WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Excel and Jaws

for

Date: Jun 2, 2017 3:44PM

Thanks for the various suggestions. At first I could not find the Excel Name Manager functionality-- because I was on a Mac. The version of Excel I switched to on a PC had it.
Thanks, too, for the JAWS keystroke suggestions.

This is a wonderful list!

Thanks,
A

> On Jun 2, 2017, at 12:53 PM, JP Jamous < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>
> You are correct david. Also Insert + CTRL + Alt + r will work for row headings.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Andrews, David B (DEED)
> Sent: Friday, June 2, 2017 10:32 AM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Excel and Jaws
>
> If I am remembering correctly -- and I may get this wrong, but with JAWS, put the cursor in the first cell of the header row and hit jaws+control+alt+C. That should monitor the cells.
>
> Dave
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Alan Zaitchik
> Sent: Friday, June 02, 2017 10:12 AM
> To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> Subject: [WebAIM] Excel and Jaws
>
> I'm working on some excel spreadsheets that are basically just tables. They have column headings in the top row. Jaws reads cells announcing their cell ids like A10 or B5-- but I can't seem to get it to repeat the column headings the way it would for an html or PDF table. Is it incapable of doing so, or have I simply missed something in excel or in jaws? And is this reason enough to convert to PDF as our accessible version? Note: the intended use is READ ONLY for these files.
> Thanks,
> A
> > > >
>