WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Regarding VPAT and litigation

for

Date: May 28, 2021 9:13AM

Let me say that I am not a lawyer, but I have been around a while. No good lawyer is going to give you a legal opinion from a mailing list posting and/or for free. However, I think most here would agree that making a good faith effort at accessibility is generally considered to be a good defense against lawsuits. Secondly, it probably wouldn't hurt for the organization to have an Accessibility Policy, and an Accessibility Plan, mapping out what they intend to do in the future.

Nothing is bullet-proof, but this should help. Also, the best reasons to do accessibility are not legal, but because it enables everyone to use the site!

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Dhananjay Bhole
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 9:58 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
Subject: [WebAIM] Regarding VPAT and litigation

This message may be from an external email source.
Do not select links or open attachments unless verified. Report all suspicious emails to Minnesota IT Services Security Operations Center.

Hello,

Can any buddy assist me in understanding following case?

One of our customer which is a non for profit organization providing paramedical support to people has recently remediated their website for section 508 compliance and filed VPAT.
The website could not be completely remediated as we could not fix some low level issues due to some technical reasons of the already used template in the website. However those issues are not blocking any major or minor functionalities of the website. Only it shall affect the comfort of users with disabilities.

How much is the threat of non compliance of this website in USA?

Can I get any legal opinion on it.

Regards
--
Dhananjay Bhole,
Accessibility evangelist,
Cell: +919850123212
Website: https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sites.google.com%2Fsite%2Fdhananjaybhole&amp;data%7C01%7Cdavid.b.andrews%40state.mn.us%7C56e96ef20aec4cb116bd08d921e8fbbd%7Ceb14b04624c445198f26b89c2159828c%7C0%7C1%7C637578106807133242%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&amp;sdata=APRHngcNuiLkqVv49sRmcDDWHtERvX5lfHTWnxuJ4NY%3D&amp;reserved=0