WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: need some guidance on applying jobs in digital/webaccessibility area

for

Date: Dec 17, 2023 1:44AM

Hello Kaveinthran,

I have been working as a tester and consultant on digital accessibility for blind people for many years. However, almost exclusively in German-speaking countries, so my experiences may not be representative. I am now employed as a consultant for this area by a temporary employment agency, but before that it was very difficult.

The difficulties, however, were less that I wasn't up to the task, but rather that there are about three types of clients:

Some come from the social sector, know that they have deficits in terms of accessibility, but can't/don't want to pay.

The others hide behind a firewall of helpdesk, incompetence and feigned interest.

And public authorities prefer to award their contracts to their proven business partners, regardless of whether they have the necessary skills or not.

In one out of 100 cases there will be a preliminary conversation in which everyone will be very impressed of your abilities, but only after one out of 10 such conversations an order will be given.

So if things in Malaysia are similar to those in Germany and Austria, then I only have two advices for you:
0. Believe in yourself!
1. Try to get a contract with such a long/proven business partner.

Per Aspera ad Astra

Yeti