WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Correct PDF/UA tagging structure for Indexes ?

for

Date: Jan 3, 2024 11:24AM

Thanks Duff and Philip for your detailed and very helpful replies. I'm blown away.

Index formats/layouts can indeed be highly complex and subject to variations in structure.
But I think (being as much or more blinkered and subject to delusion as the next person) the
example index shown is typical of index structures from the 19th century onwards--with the
exception it did not contain any reference to *primary* pages and page ranges.

I'll study both your posts in detail--lots to learn and material to consider!

Meanwhile it's perplexingly difficult to find *any* PDFs with UA tagged indexes 🙁.

Thanks again,

Rick

--
<EMAIL REMOVED>
Rick Davies, Technical Sales Manager
Datazone Ltd, Tel: +353 64 66 289 64
Palm Gate, Greenane, Killarney, Fax: +353 64 66 289 65
Co. Kerry, Irelandwww.miramo.com
On 02/01/2024 17:05, Rick Davies via WebAIM-Forum wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> The estimable PDF Association has explanatory technical notes about how to conform to the
> PDF/UA standard. But those documents don't contain many illustrative examples and *no*
> illustrative examples about index markup--I guess they are not intended as cookbooks. The
> PDF Association also has several helpful example PDF/UA documents contributed by third
> parties--none of them contain indexes. After weeks of searching, I have not been able to
> find much or anything about PDF/UA index markup: no credibly tagged PDF/UA documents with
> indexes. The old Adobe PDF 1.6 document has a magnificent index, but no Index tagging.
> All the successor ISO PDF standard documents don't have any indexes 🙁.
>
> So I'm wondering a) if anyone knows where such examples may be found and b) how should a
> developer of a PDF output generator produce PDF/UA tagging for the following index structure?
> (The objective is that the PDF output-generator should create 'born accessible' PDFs,
> without the need for any remediation.)
>
> Rough and ready index example:
> > Index
> >
> ___
> A
> ___
>
> Artichokes                  3, 15-38, 133
>     cooking                16, 31, 32, 33
>     in oil                         31, 32
>     in butter                      31, 33
>     growing
>     hyponetically                   24-27
>     au naturelle                    20-21
>
> Artischocken                   66, 70, 90
>     Kochen                     80, 81, 92
>
> Avocados                       55-58, 133
>
> ...
> ___
> B
> ___
>
> Bananas 65, 65
>
> >
> In the above 'A' and 'B' are index sub-headings, aka group titles. And the 'au naturelle',
> 'Artischocken' and 'Kochen' represent index entries in different languages.
>
> What would be the complete PDF/UA tagging required to express the above index structure,
> including page links? Is there a tagging structure for the above that would be compatible
> with all of UA-1, UA-2, PDF 1.7 and PDF 2 ?
>
> OTOH this mailing list "is for anyone interested in discussing *web* accessibility issues" so
> perhaps the above question would be better asked somewhere else? The PDF Association does
> not seem to have a forum ...
>
> All suggestions and comments very gratefully received 🙂.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Rick
>