WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: button or link for downloads

for

Number of posts in this thread: 11 (In chronological order)

Date: Wed, Dec 20 2023 6:38AM
Subject: button or link for downloads
No previous message | Next message →

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to see whether there's a preference for buttons or links for
downloads. In my digging, I've seen articles for both. For assistive tech
users, is there a preference? And do you prefer to see the file size next
to the button or link?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Warner
Director of IT Services
MindEdge Learning

Date: Wed, Dec 20 2023 7:12AM
Subject: Re: button or link for downloads
← Previous message | Next message →

Hello Mike,

> preference for buttons or links for downloads.

If it leads to a URI

ftp://ftp.x.pdf

it is a Link.

If You start a function - f.E. if I've paid - it is a Button.

But be careful:
Although I know many browsers that claim they can handle PDF, I don't know of any web browser that can actually do this in conjunction with screen readers in a proper way.

I therefore set my systems so that PDFs are not opened in the default web browser. Any functions behind a button should take this into account.

Ad Astra

Yeti

Date: Wed, Dec 20 2023 7:38AM

I would go with a Download button if the download starts immediately after the user clicks the button. On the other hand, if users are expected to provide some information before the download becomes available, then a link is better, as the link takes the user to another page where they then enter the requested details.

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Mike Warner
Sent: 20 December 2023 13:38
To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
Subject: [WebAIM] button or link for downloads

External email: if the sender or content looks suspicious, please click the Report Message icon, or forward it to report-phishing

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to see whether there's a preference for buttons or links for downloads. In my digging, I've seen articles for both. For assistive tech users, is there a preference? And do you prefer to see the file size next to the button or link?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Warner
Director of IT Services
MindEdge Learning

Date: Wed, Dec 20 2023 8:10AM

I have to disagree.
I am coming from the perspective of a screen reader user completely non-visual.
I expect the download button to be a button.
Because when I navigate by the letter B
I expect to find it if it is a link, I will not find it, and I will have to go looking for the download
I feel the same way about those elements along with edit buttons. Next buttons I keep running into situations where coders make them links, and it is very frustrating as a screen reader user trying to decipher what the developer intended.
Dean Vasile

617-799-1162

> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:38 AM, Geethavani.Shamanna < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> I would go with a Download button if the download starts immediately after the user clicks the button. On the other hand, if users are expected to provide some information before the download becomes available, then a link is better, as the link takes the user to another page where they then enter the requested details.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Mike Warner
> Sent: 20 December 2023 13:38
> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
> Subject: [WebAIM] button or link for downloads
>
> External email: if the sender or content looks suspicious, please click the Report Message icon, or forward it to report-phishing
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm looking to see whether there's a preference for buttons or links for downloads. In my digging, I've seen articles for both. For assistive tech users, is there a preference? And do you prefer to see the file size next to the button or link?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> Mike Warner
> Director of IT Services
> MindEdge Learning
> > > > > > > >

Date: Wed, Dec 20 2023 8:13AM

I realize that WCAG may have specific requirements.
But coming from the perspective of a screen reader user
We are accustomed to finding buttons and links different ways and if something looks like a button, it should be coded as a button.
If it is not going to be coded as a button
Then it should look like link text and not a button
Dean Vasile

617-799-1162

> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:13 AM, Yeti < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> Hello Mike,
>
>> preference for buttons or links for downloads.
>
> If it leads to a URI
>
> ftp://ftp.x.pdf
>
> it is a Link.
>
> If You start a function - f.E. if I've paid - it is a Button.
>
> But be careful:
> Although I know many browsers that claim they can handle PDF, I don't know of any web browser that can actually do this in conjunction with screen readers in a proper way.
>
> I therefore set my systems so that PDFs are not opened in the default web browser. Any functions behind a button should take this into account.
>
> Ad Astra
>
> Yeti
>
> > > >

Date: Wed, Dec 20 2023 8:23AM

Dean,

I’m curious: why do you expect the download (link? Button?) to be a button?

This is maybe the best write-up I’ve seen about this (by Eric Bailey):

https://css-tricks.com/building-good-download-button/

Also, it might be a little difficult to share a “download button” with someone, wouldn’t it?

- Peter

> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:10 AM, = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = wrote:
>
> I have to disagree.
> I am coming from the perspective of a screen reader user completely non-visual.
> I expect the download button to be a button.
> Because when I navigate by the letter B
> I expect to find it if it is a link, I will not find it, and I will have to go looking for the download
> I feel the same way about those elements along with edit buttons. Next buttons I keep running into situations where coders make them links, and it is very frustrating as a screen reader user trying to decipher what the developer intended.
> Dean Vasile
>
>
> 617-799-1162
>
>> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:38 AM, Geethavani.Shamanna < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>>
>> I would go with a Download button if the download starts immediately after the user clicks the button. On the other hand, if users are expected to provide some information before the download becomes available, then a link is better, as the link takes the user to another page where they then enter the requested details.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Mike Warner
>> Sent: 20 December 2023 13:38
>> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
>> Subject: [WebAIM] button or link for downloads
>>
>> External email: if the sender or content looks suspicious, please click the Report Message icon, or forward it to report-phishing
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm looking to see whether there's a preference for buttons or links for downloads. In my digging, I've seen articles for both. For assistive tech users, is there a preference? And do you prefer to see the file size next to the button or link?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike

--
Peter Weil
Web Developer
University Marketing Web Services
Office of Strategic Communications
University of Wisconsin–Madison
608-220-3089

Date: Wed, Dec 20 2023 8:30AM

Over the last five months, I have been taking a admin course for Salesforce.
And in their website, I continuously run into situations where I’m looking for an edit button.
And I cannot find it because it happens to be a link.
My sincere feeling as a screen reader user because we navigate by letters to find different elements if I want to find a button I press the B if I find want to find a link I press the letter U I want to find a visited link it is the letter V like Victor if there is a link that is going to take me out of the website, I am OK with that being a link
However if I am working in the same website, even though it is taking me to different pages on the website, I expect the element to be coded as a button.
It saves time and Brain cells that I do not have to spare.
And I am sure that there are other visually impaired people and visually impaired people that may have cognitive issues that would agree with this
Dean Vasile

617-799-1162

> On Dec 20, 2023, at 10:23 AM, Peter Weil < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> Dean,
>
> I’m curious: why do you expect the download (link? Button?) to be a button?
>
> This is maybe the best write-up I’ve seen about this (by Eric Bailey):
>
> https://css-tricks.com/building-good-download-button/
>
> Also, it might be a little difficult to share a “download button” with someone, wouldn’t it?
>
> - Peter
>
>> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:10 AM, = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = wrote:
>>
>> I have to disagree.
>> I am coming from the perspective of a screen reader user completely non-visual.
>> I expect the download button to be a button.
>> Because when I navigate by the letter B
>> I expect to find it if it is a link, I will not find it, and I will have to go looking for the download
>> I feel the same way about those elements along with edit buttons. Next buttons I keep running into situations where coders make them links, and it is very frustrating as a screen reader user trying to decipher what the developer intended.
>> Dean Vasile
>>
>>
>> 617-799-1162
>>
>>>> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:38 AM, Geethavani.Shamanna < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>>>
>>> I would go with a Download button if the download starts immediately after the user clicks the button. On the other hand, if users are expected to provide some information before the download becomes available, then a link is better, as the link takes the user to another page where they then enter the requested details.
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Mike Warner
>>> Sent: 20 December 2023 13:38
>>> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
>>> Subject: [WebAIM] button or link for downloads
>>>
>>> External email: if the sender or content looks suspicious, please click the Report Message icon, or forward it to report-phishing
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm looking to see whether there's a preference for buttons or links for downloads. In my digging, I've seen articles for both. For assistive tech users, is there a preference? And do you prefer to see the file size next to the button or link?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mike
>
>
> --
> Peter Weil
> Web Developer
> University Marketing Web Services
> Office of Strategic Communications
> University of Wisconsin–Madison
> 608-220-3089
>
>
> > > >

Date: Wed, Dec 20 2023 8:42AM

Peter
That was an excellent article.
However there were some areas of that article that actually support my position.
What I am running into on websites is static text that says click the button below
However, then that button happens to be a link
If something is going to be coded as a link, then all static text on the webpage needs to refer to it as a link
Subsequently if it is coded as a button, the static text should refer to it as a button.
So there are definitely situations where download links should be coded as links, but not referred to as buttons on the webpage
Dean Vasile

617-799-1162

> On Dec 20, 2023, at 10:23 AM, Peter Weil < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> Dean,
>
> I’m curious: why do you expect the download (link? Button?) to be a button?
>
> This is maybe the best write-up I’ve seen about this (by Eric Bailey):
>
> https://css-tricks.com/building-good-download-button/
>
> Also, it might be a little difficult to share a “download button” with someone, wouldn’t it?
>
> - Peter
>
>> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:10 AM, = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = wrote:
>>
>> I have to disagree.
>> I am coming from the perspective of a screen reader user completely non-visual.
>> I expect the download button to be a button.
>> Because when I navigate by the letter B
>> I expect to find it if it is a link, I will not find it, and I will have to go looking for the download
>> I feel the same way about those elements along with edit buttons. Next buttons I keep running into situations where coders make them links, and it is very frustrating as a screen reader user trying to decipher what the developer intended.
>> Dean Vasile
>>
>>
>> 617-799-1162
>>
>>>> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:38 AM, Geethavani.Shamanna < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>>>
>>> I would go with a Download button if the download starts immediately after the user clicks the button. On the other hand, if users are expected to provide some information before the download becomes available, then a link is better, as the link takes the user to another page where they then enter the requested details.
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Mike Warner
>>> Sent: 20 December 2023 13:38
>>> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
>>> Subject: [WebAIM] button or link for downloads
>>>
>>> External email: if the sender or content looks suspicious, please click the Report Message icon, or forward it to report-phishing
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm looking to see whether there's a preference for buttons or links for downloads. In my digging, I've seen articles for both. For assistive tech users, is there a preference? And do you prefer to see the file size next to the button or link?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mike
>
>
> --
> Peter Weil
> Web Developer
> University Marketing Web Services
> Office of Strategic Communications
> University of Wisconsin–Madison
> 608-220-3089
>
>
> > > >

Date: Wed, Dec 20 2023 8:48AM

Dean,

I agree with you 100% about how these elements ought to be referenced. It’s one of my sore spots at production meetings.

But we seem to be talking about several different things. I was asking specifically about downloads. I still don’t quite understand why you expect or want a download (something) to be a button as opposed to a link.

-Peter

> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:42 AM, = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = wrote:
>
> Peter
> That was an excellent article.
> However there were some areas of that article that actually support my position.
> What I am running into on websites is static text that says click the button below
> However, then that button happens to be a link
> If something is going to be coded as a link, then all static text on the webpage needs to refer to it as a link
> Subsequently if it is coded as a button, the static text should refer to it as a button.
> So there are definitely situations where download links should be coded as links, but not referred to as buttons on the webpage
> Dean Vasile
>
>
> 617-799-1162
>
>> On Dec 20, 2023, at 10:23 AM, Peter Weil < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>>
>> Dean,
>>
>> I’m curious: why do you expect the download (link? Button?) to be a button?
>>
>> This is maybe the best write-up I’ve seen about this (by Eric Bailey):
>>
>> https://css-tricks.com/building-good-download-button/
>>
>> Also, it might be a little difficult to share a “download button” with someone, wouldn’t it?
>>
>> - Peter
>>
>>> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:10 AM, = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = wrote:
>>>
>>> I have to disagree.
>>> I am coming from the perspective of a screen reader user completely non-visual.
>>> I expect the download button to be a button.
>>> Because when I navigate by the letter B
>>> I expect to find it if it is a link, I will not find it, and I will have to go looking for the download
>>> I feel the same way about those elements along with edit buttons. Next buttons I keep running into situations where coders make them links, and it is very frustrating as a screen reader user trying to decipher what the developer intended.
>>> Dean Vasile
>>>
>>>
>>> 617-799-1162
>>>
>>>>> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:38 AM, Geethavani.Shamanna < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I would go with a Download button if the download starts immediately after the user clicks the button. On the other hand, if users are expected to provide some information before the download becomes available, then a link is better, as the link takes the user to another page where they then enter the requested details.
>>>>
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Mike Warner
>>>> Sent: 20 December 2023 13:38
>>>> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
>>>> Subject: [WebAIM] button or link for downloads
>>>>
>>>> External email: if the sender or content looks suspicious, please click the Report Message icon, or forward it to report-phishing
>>>>
>>>> Hi everyone,
>>>>
>>>> I'm looking to see whether there's a preference for buttons or links for downloads. In my digging, I've seen articles for both. For assistive tech users, is there a preference? And do you prefer to see the file size next to the button or link?
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Mike
>>
>>
>> --
>> Peter Weil
>> Web Developer
>> University Marketing Web Services
>> Office of Strategic Communications
>> University of Wisconsin–Madison
>> 608-220-3089
>>
>>
>> >> >> >> > > > >

Date: Wed, Dec 20 2023 8:56AM

Peter, I get what you were saying.
And I am flexible I can yield to a download link being referred to as a link.
My sticking point is the text referring to it on the webpage must refer to it as a link.
Because again from a screen reader, users perspective
When we see something referred to as a button, that is how we are going to try to find it
Dean Vasile

617-799-1162

> On Dec 20, 2023, at 10:48 AM, Peter Weil < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>
> Dean,
>
> I agree with you 100% about how these elements ought to be referenced. It’s one of my sore spots at production meetings.
>
> But we seem to be talking about several different things. I was asking specifically about downloads. I still don’t quite understand why you expect or want a download (something) to be a button as opposed to a link.
>
> -Peter
>
>> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:42 AM, = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = wrote:
>>
>> Peter
>> That was an excellent article.
>> However there were some areas of that article that actually support my position.
>> What I am running into on websites is static text that says click the button below
>> However, then that button happens to be a link
>> If something is going to be coded as a link, then all static text on the webpage needs to refer to it as a link
>> Subsequently if it is coded as a button, the static text should refer to it as a button.
>> So there are definitely situations where download links should be coded as links, but not referred to as buttons on the webpage
>> Dean Vasile
>>
>>
>> 617-799-1162
>>
>>>> On Dec 20, 2023, at 10:23 AM, Peter Weil < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>>>
>>> Dean,
>>>
>>> I’m curious: why do you expect the download (link? Button?) to be a button?
>>>
>>> This is maybe the best write-up I’ve seen about this (by Eric Bailey):
>>>
>>> https://css-tricks.com/building-good-download-button/
>>>
>>> Also, it might be a little difficult to share a “download button” with someone, wouldn’t it?
>>>
>>> - Peter
>>>
>>>> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:10 AM, = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = wrote:
>>>>
>>>> I have to disagree.
>>>> I am coming from the perspective of a screen reader user completely non-visual.
>>>> I expect the download button to be a button.
>>>> Because when I navigate by the letter B
>>>> I expect to find it if it is a link, I will not find it, and I will have to go looking for the download
>>>> I feel the same way about those elements along with edit buttons. Next buttons I keep running into situations where coders make them links, and it is very frustrating as a screen reader user trying to decipher what the developer intended.
>>>> Dean Vasile
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> 617-799-1162
>>>>
>>>>>> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:38 AM, Geethavani.Shamanna < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> I would go with a Download button if the download starts immediately after the user clicks the button. On the other hand, if users are expected to provide some information before the download becomes available, then a link is better, as the link takes the user to another page where they then enter the requested details.
>>>>>
>>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>>> From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Mike Warner
>>>>> Sent: 20 December 2023 13:38
>>>>> To: WebAIM Discussion List < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >
>>>>> Subject: [WebAIM] button or link for downloads
>>>>>
>>>>> External email: if the sender or content looks suspicious, please click the Report Message icon, or forward it to report-phishing
>>>>>
>>>>> Hi everyone,
>>>>>
>>>>> I'm looking to see whether there's a preference for buttons or links for downloads. In my digging, I've seen articles for both. For assistive tech users, is there a preference? And do you prefer to see the file size next to the button or link?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>> Mike
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter Weil
>>> Web Developer
>>> University Marketing Web Services
>>> Office of Strategic Communications
>>> University of Wisconsin–Madison
>>> 608-220-3089
>>>
>>>
>>> >>> >>> >>> >> >> >> >> >
> > > >

Date: Wed, Dec 20 2023 1:44PM
← Previous message | No next message

If you (genuinely) download then it doesn't change your context. You remain on the page you are and can carry on browsing while the download happens elsewhere. I'm okay with a link if you are going to open a document. Perhaps it's the semantics with download being used commonly in situations where nothing gets placed on my computer in a long term sense - you just open a document in the browser.

Kevin

Kevin Prince
Product Accessibility & Usability Consultant