WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: Excel accessibility checklist

for

Number of posts in this thread: 4 (In chronological order)

Date: Mon, Jan 08 2024 11:40AM
Subject: Excel accessibility checklist
No previous message | Next message →

Hello, does anyone have an accessibility checklist for testing MS Excel files - or can direct me to one?
I know there's the built in accessibility checker, but there's always more to making documents accessible than that, as we all know.

Thank you,
Claire

Date: Mon, Jan 08 2024 12:04PM
Subject: Re: Excel accessibility checklist
← Previous message | Next message →

Take a look at these freebies:

Microsoft: drill down to find Excel best practices, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/resources
HHS: see their checklists at https://www.hhs.gov/web/section-508/accessibility-checklists/index.html

—Bevi Chagnon

— — —
Bevi Chagnon | Designer, Accessibility Technician | = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
— — —
PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing
consulting • training • development • design • sec. 508 services
Upcoming classes at www.PubCom.com/classes
— — —
Latest blog-newsletter – Simple Guide to Writing Alt-Text

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > On Behalf Of Claire Forbes
Sent: Monday, January 8, 2024 1:40 PM
To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED =
Subject: [WebAIM] Excel accessibility checklist

Hello, does anyone have an accessibility checklist for testing MS Excel files - or can direct me to one?
I know there's the built in accessibility checker, but there's always more to making documents accessible than that, as we all know.

Thank you,
Claire

Date: Mon, Jan 08 2024 12:39PM
← Previous message | Next message →

Hi Claire,

Yes, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) have conformance reports listed on their website for Section 508 compliance testing.

The Dept. of HHS Section 508 website conformance reports can be found within the following website: https://www.hhs.gov/web/section-508/accessibility-checklists/index.html

The Department of HHS also provides conformance reports for Word, PowerPoint, Websites & Web Applications, and Adobe PDF.

Sincerely,

Michael Perrin, Accessibility Analyst II 
951 W Yamato Road
Suite 208
Boca Raton, FL 33431 
Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) 

© 2024 RaLytics LLC. All Rights Reserved. This message is intended only for use by the person or entity to which it is addressed. Because it may contain confidential information intended solely for the addressee, if the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that any disclosing, copying, image capture, forwarding, printing, downloading, distributing, or retaining of this message, and any attached files in any form, is prohibited and may be a violation of state or federal law. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender by reply mail, and delete the message and all attached files.

Sent: Monday, January 8, 2024 1:40 PM

Thank you,
Claire

Date: Mon, Jan 08 2024 1:13PM
← Previous message | No next message

Hi Claire,

Here are some resources:

https://www.section508.gov/create/spreadsheets/authoring-guides/

Thanks,
Rebecca Brown MLS, CPACC | Training Development Manager
NNLM Training Office | Eccles Health Sciences Library | University of Utah

Sent: Monday, January 8, 2024 12:40 PM

Thank you,
Claire