E-mail List Archives

Thread: free/OSS screen reader / speech solutions (was RE:WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 25, Issue 12)

for

Number of posts in this thread: 7 (In chronological order)

From: Patrick Lauke
Date: Mon, Apr 23 2007 8:30AM
Subject: free/OSS screen reader / speech solutions (was RE:WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 25, Issue 12)
No previous message | Next message

> Most of the speech users I know are students or employees.
> They do much more than "read" a page. However, I believe
> that I'd love to know more about free software for our older
> group. Many in this group like to keep in touch with their
> children using email and do some on-line banking. Most of
> the computers are not Macs.

A few solutions I know of...

Full-on, open source screen reader for windows (not tested it myself, but heard good things about it): http://www.nvda-project.org/

Just for web browsing, hooks into Firefox: http://firevox.clcworld.net/ and http://clickspeak.clcworld.net/

For Linux: Orca http://live.gnome.org/Orca

P

From: Emma Duke-Williams
Date: Mon, Apr 23 2007 9:00AM
Subject: Re: WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 25, Issue 12
Previous message | Next message

On 23/04/07, ******** < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
> Most of the speech users I know are students or employees. They do much more than "read" a page. However, I believe that I'd love to know more about free software for our older group. Many in this group like to keep in touch with their children using email and do some on-line banking. Most of the computers are not Macs.
>

One site that your users might find useful is
http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/index.shtml - while parts of the
site cover what the BBC is doing for disabled users (e.g. programs
that are archived with BSL signing), the majority of the site covers
what users can do for themselves - and includes Windows, Mac and
Linux.

Emma
--
Blog: http://www.tech.port.ac.uk/staffweb/duke-wie/blog/

From: zara
Date: Mon, Apr 23 2007 9:30AM
Subject: Re: free/OSS screen reader / speech solutions (was RE:WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 25, Issue 12)
Previous message | Next message

> On 23/04/07, ******** < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = > wrote:
> > Most of the speech users I know are students or
> employees. They do much more than "read" a page.
> However, I believe that I'd love to know more about
> free software for our older group. Many in this
> group like to keep in touch with their children using
> email and do some on-line banking. Most of the
> computers are not Macs.


You may also want to check out the Open Source Assistive Technology Software (OATS) Web site.

http://www.oatsoft.org/

They have a huge repository of open source assistive technology.

http://www.oatsoft.org/Software/listing/Repository


--
Catherine Roy

www.catherine-roy.net




From: Patrick Lauke
Date: Mon, Apr 23 2007 9:50AM
Subject: Re: free/OSS screen reader / speech solutions (wasRE:WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 25, Issue 12)
Previous message | Next message

> zara

> You may also want to check out the Open Source Assistive
> Technology Software (OATS) Web site.
>
> http://www.oatsoft.org/
>
> They have a huge repository of open source assistive technology.
>
> http://www.oatsoft.org/Software/listing/Repository

Oh, nice one...a very useful little resource.

P

From: Joshue O Connor
Date: Thu, Apr 26 2007 2:30AM
Subject: Re: free/OSS screen reader / speech solutions (was RE: WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 25, Issue 12)
Previous message | Next message

Patrick Lauke wrote:
> Full-on, open source screen reader for windows (not tested it myself, but heard good things about it): http://www.nvda-project.org/

I have also gotten really good feedback from users about this one.

josh

********************************************************************

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments
is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of
the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify
the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to
delete it and any attachments from your system.

NCBI endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated
by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants. However,
it cannot accept any responsibility for any such which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email
and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily
represent the views of NCBI


********************************************************************



From: Derek Matthew
Date: Thu, May 17 2007 12:20PM
Subject: Re: WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 26,Issue 12 (On Training - May 17, 2007)
Previous message | Next message

I will be out of the office, on training on Thursday, May 17, 2007. I
will not be checking my e-mail until Friday, May 18, 2007.

If your Internet/Intranet request is urgent, please contact Katja
Hetmanchuk, = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = , and she will reply to you as soon as
possible.

Thanks.
Derek
416-392-8688

From: Debi Turner
Date: Mon, Jun 11 2007 12:20PM
Subject: Re: WebAIM-Forum Digest, Vol 27, Issue 8
Previous message | No next message

Thank you for your email.
I am out of the office from Friday June 8 and I will return on Monday June 25.

d:)