WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Thread: JAWS and NVDA View Speech History

for

Number of posts in this thread: 1 (In chronological order)

Date: Wed, May 04 2016 7:51AM
Subject: JAWS and NVDA View Speech History
No previous message | No next message

For NVDA: Speech Viewer

For sighted software developers or people demoing NVDA to sighted audiences, a floating window is available that allows you to view all the text that NVDA is currently speaking.

To enable the speech viewer, check the "Speech Viewer" menu item under Tools in the NVDA menu. Uncheck the menu item to disable it.

While the speech viewer is enabled, it constantly updates to show you the most current text being spoken. However, if you click or focus inside the viewer, NVDA will temporarily stop updating the text, so that you are able to easily select or copy the existing content.

To toggle the speech viewer from anywhere, please assign a custom gesture using the Input Gestures dialog.

For JAWS: Speech History Mode

By default, JAWS retains a list of the last 50 announcements that were spoken by the speech synthesizer. For users of refreshable braille displays, JAWS has always provided a mode where you could review this spoken information in braille.

Speech History extends this functionality to users who rely on using speech more than braille. If you miss one or more messages spoken by JAWS, you can press INSERT+SPACE, followed by H to open a Results Viewer window containing up to the last 50 announcements spoken by the synthesizer.

When the Speech History window opens, you are placed on the line containing the most recent announcement. You can navigate through the text in the Results Viewer window using standard JAWS reading commands. You can also select and copy any part of, or all of the text within the Results Viewer Window and paste it into another file or document.

Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On Behalf Of Sean Murphy
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 6:26 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Seeking input on SC 2.4.7 & Screen Readers

Hi,

For those user's on the list who might not know how to invoke the feature you mention for Jaws and NVDA. How about you give instructions on turning it on.

Sean

> On 4 May 2016, at 1:38 PM, Jennifer Sutton < = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = <mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >> wrote:

>

> For those who may be unaware, I'll provide the link to the Focus Highlight Plugin for NVDA which is the one I believe Jonathan meant when he wrote, in part:

>

> "There is a plug-in though for NVDA."

>

>

> I believe this is a link to the most recent version:

>

>

> http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/focusHighlight.en.html

>

>

> In addition, I'll mention that both JFW and NVDA have ways to display the textual representation of what each screen reader is speaking. Using this can be faster for those who are not used to listening to text-to-speech, and it can also save time, when writing reports, since you can "copy and paste." Yes, I realize this may be slightly off-topic, but I think many Windows users who have vision and are learning to test with a screen reader may not realize that JFW and NVDA can do something visually similar to what VO can do on the Mac.

>

>

>

> Best,

>

> Jennifer

>

>

>

> On 5/3/2016 10:52 AM, Jonathan Avila wrote:

>>> However, when I enable JAWS or NVDA, this visible focus is lost.

>> Hi Nicole, with JAWS in virtual cursor mode the focus is not moved to an element when you arrow to it -- only when you tab. With NVDA and some other screen readers the element is focused when you arrow to it in browse mode. I noticed that even though links in IE are focused by NVDA no focus outline appears. In Firefox the focus outline does appear on links when you arrow to them with NVDA. So what you are experiencing seems like normal behavior -- perhaps with a bug in how NVDA and IE work. NVDA and IE have some known issues and JAWS works this way by design. So as long as the focus indicator is shown without AT running and the AT can identify the programmatic focus it should be fine. Some ATs provide their own focus indicators based on programmatic focus being set but JAWS and NVDA do not. There is a plug-in though for NVDA.

>>

>> Jonathan

>>

>> Jonathan Avila

>> Chief Accessibility Officer

>> SSB BART Group

>> = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = <mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >

>> 703.637.8957 (Office)

>>

>> Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin | Blog Check

>> out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!

>>

>>

>> -----Original Message-----

>> From: WebAIM-Forum [mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = ] On

>> Behalf Of Nicole

>> Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 10:07 AM

>> To: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = <mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >

>> Subject: [WebAIM] Seeking input on SC 2.4.7 & Screen Readers

>>

>> While I have been a long time lurker on this list, this is my first

>> posting. I am hoping to receive some clarification on SC 2.4.7

>> (Focus

>> Visible) as it relates to screen readers.

>>

>> In the application I am testing, visible focus is present when navigating through the submenu items (links) of a drop down/fly out menu in any browser being tested. When the HTML submenu link receives visible focus in the form of a dotted rectangle.

>>

>> However, when I enable JAWS or NVDA, this visible focus is lost. The link context and the ability to interact with the submenu links are still intact. It is just the visible focus that is no longer present.

>> Being a sighted user, I 'see' this. My question is...does this

>> constitute a failure for 2.4.7?

>>

>>

>> --

>> Nicole Bergstrom

>> Web Accessibility Consultant

>> Fairfax, Virginia

>> (c) 703-307-2438

>> (e) = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = <mailto: = EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED = >

>>
>> >> archives at http://webaim.org/discussion/archives