WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: button or link for downloads

for

Date: Dec 20, 2023 8:23AM

Dean,

I’m curious: why do you expect the download (link? Button?) to be a button?

This is maybe the best write-up I’ve seen about this (by Eric Bailey):

https://css-tricks.com/building-good-download-button/

Also, it might be a little difficult to share a “download button” with someone, wouldn’t it?

- Peter

> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:10 AM, <EMAIL REMOVED> wrote:
>
> I have to disagree.
> I am coming from the perspective of a screen reader user completely non-visual.
> I expect the download button to be a button.
> Because when I navigate by the letter B
> I expect to find it if it is a link, I will not find it, and I will have to go looking for the download
> I feel the same way about those elements along with edit buttons. Next buttons I keep running into situations where coders make them links, and it is very frustrating as a screen reader user trying to decipher what the developer intended.
> Dean Vasile
>
>
> 617-799-1162
>
>> On Dec 20, 2023, at 9:38 AM, Geethavani.Shamanna < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>>
>> I would go with a Download button if the download starts immediately after the user clicks the button. On the other hand, if users are expected to provide some information before the download becomes available, then a link is better, as the link takes the user to another page where they then enter the requested details.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Mike Warner
>> Sent: 20 December 2023 13:38
>> To: WebAIM Discussion List < <EMAIL REMOVED> >
>> Subject: [WebAIM] button or link for downloads
>>
>> External email: if the sender or content looks suspicious, please click the Report Message icon, or forward it to report-phishing
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm looking to see whether there's a preference for buttons or links for downloads. In my digging, I've seen articles for both. For assistive tech users, is there a preference? And do you prefer to see the file size next to the button or link?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike

--
Peter Weil
Web Developer
University Marketing Web Services
Office of Strategic Communications
University of Wisconsin–Madison
608-220-3089