WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: - NVDA screen reader_PDF reading

for

Date: Jan 4, 2024 2:11PM

Claire,

I think that is the normal flow for NVDA reading through a PDF. It assumes that you're listening to the document being read, not reading it with vision.

On trying an accessible PDF with 20 pages using Acrobat Reader just now with NVDA I clicked Insert+down arrow and it read to the bottom them kept on reading the next page content. If it was on a list item and I hit "I" for next list item or "h" to jump to the next heading it would go there and refresh the visible page that it was now on.

NVDA seems to do the same with my setup for web pages where it may show the visual highlight as it reads down the page but then will keep on reading to subsequent pages without the visual indicator being on the pages that follow.

Doug Hayman
IT Accessibility Coordinator
Information Technology
Olympic College
<EMAIL REMOVED>
(360) 475-7632

-----Original Message-----
From: WebAIM-Forum < <EMAIL REMOVED> > On Behalf Of Claire Forbes
Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2024 12:51 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] - [WebAIM] NVDA screen reader_PDF reading

CAUTION: This email came from a non-OC system or external source. Beware of phishing and social engineering!

Hello everyone!
I'm testing some PDFs with NVDA screen reader and the whole document is read by NVDA, but the page doesn't change, it remains on the cover page, as NVDA reads through the document.
Is this considered non-compliant or is there a setting the change to make it toggle along as it reads?

Thank you!
Claire