E-mail List Archives
Re: labels in forms
From: Patrick H. Lauke
Date: May 31, 2007 5:50PM
- Next message: Christian Heilmann: "Re: labels in forms"
- Previous message: Jon May: "labels in forms"
- Next message in Thread: Christian Heilmann: "Re: labels in forms"
- Previous message in Thread: Jon May: "labels in forms"
- View all messages in this Thread
Jon May wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'd like some clarity on labels in forms please. Is it OK to put <label
> for="fname"> if it for a first name input box or is it better to put
> <label for="firstname"> or even <label for="first name">. I wasn't sure
> if screen readers and the like actually read the value in the label and
> whether it is best to have something in there that actually makes sense
> to the visitor or if it is fine to use abbreviations.
the for attribute points to a matching id attribute. both are
machine-readable data, which is not directly exposed to the end user
(not even in screen readers).
oh, and your third example is invalid, as ids and names can't contain
Patrick H. Lauke