WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

accessibility without testing?

for

Date: Mar 13, 2008 8:40AM

Hi all.

It has always been my understanding that in order to consistently create accessible pages, particularly pages which are accessible to screen reader users, it is necessary to conduct testing with assistive technology. I.E. before you can say for sure something is accessible, someone has to go check. Is this view accurate? Is there a more automated way of ensuring accessibility that I'm unaware of?

I know that there have been some products marketed to be able to do so, but I was under the impression that they were just snake oil. I also know of a couple products, which are quite good at identifying potential problem areas, but that they can't possibly identify them all, nor are they immune to false-positives.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Aaron Cannon

----------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.