WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Colour accessibility

for

Date: May 6, 2008 4:30PM

Please be aware that more than 8% of men cannot see red at all.
I live with one who sees only black, cannot tell soft greens from orange (as in fruit gums) and can really only tell shades of blue, and once polished my daughter's new purple shoes with navy polish.

Dyslexics vary in what colour helps, but the original studies of black on yellow still holds as the clearest, while white on green the most easy on the eye (and so you read more).
Red is considered invigorating, but upsets many people including many dyslexics.

Speaking personally, I find that the intense reds swallow white typeface making it very hard to read, and I have very good colour vision. You have the dilemma of making the contrast high, and therefore the glare - the old conflict between accessibility and usability
but if you really have to do this, try a deep cherry, while being aware that of course that what my screen displays is different to yours, and what my eye sees is different from yours.

What is wrong with red banners/ stripes, underlines and logos to show the corporate colours?