WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: WebTV CSS support list

for

Date: Mar 11, 2002 2:24PM

On my site, I use:

<.link rel="StyleSheet" href="style.css" type="text/css" title="alexanderworks" />
<.link rel="StyleSheet" href="n4free.css" type="text/css" media="screen,print" title="alexanderworks" />
<.link rel="StyleSheet" href="webtv.css" type="text/css" media="tv" title="alexanderworks" />
[Initial dots added just in case the html is a problem].

(I'm not sure whether the title attribute serves any purpose. It was recommended to me for some reason I can't remember).

The first linked style sheet contains css for all browsers.

The second contains the css that would mess up in Netscape 4. (N4 only reads style sheets with if the value of the media attribute is "screen" or - I believe - "all").

The third style sheet is only read by WebTV.

For N4, I have a JavaScript file that writes a <style type="text/css">..</style section into the html if the browser sniff code finds "netscape 4".

At 11/03/02 11:48 -0600, you wrote:
>Since WebTV does not support @import, it could be safe to say that using
>@import for real browsers(excludes NNold too) would be good then using a
>scaled down one for webTV might work.

WebTV does support @import, albeit rather iffily. Using the JavaScript technique I use for N4 is also iffy in WebTV, but the <link .. media="tv" .. /> is, as far as I am aware, totally reliable. The drawback is that Internet Explorer and Opera both download the file, even though they do nothing with it?!

>Though I do not like advocating separate browser sheets unless a user
>selects a change, this might be an option for those of you that need to
>code pages for MSN webTV.
>
>Support is really iffy, and this comes from MS, webTV, which may have
>somehow taken over the web tv market?

They're really clever folk over at Microsoft, don't you know.

All the best,

BTW thanks for the spur to switch to xhtml *strict*, Holly. I'm having a go and it seems to be working ok so far. Just one table with either 2 or 3 columns depending on the width of the browser window. The WebTV and N4 style sheets will use fixed fonts as the user can change sizes even so. Ems for all other browsers.

--
Philip Pawley
Liverpool, UK
http://www.alexanderworks.org/
--

----
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or view list archives,
visit http://www.webaim.org/discussion/