E-mail List Archives
From: John Foliot
Date: May 26, 2010 3:27PM
- Next message: Geof Collis: "Re: abbreviations"
- Previous message: John Foliot: "Re: abbreviations"
- Next message in Thread: Geof Collis: "Re: abbreviations"
- Previous message in Thread: John Foliot: "Re: abbreviations"
- View all messages in this Thread
Denis Boudreau wrote:
> Surely you understand that while accessibility != developing
> for screen readers, it is still an important part of a complete
> Huh, I mean, an important part of an efficient approach to ensure
> that some users with specific types of limitations have access
> to content.
Correct, which is why *not* using <abbr> simply because, in its default
setting, JAWS (a commercial software package that runs on one operating
system) does not voice out the value string is a wrong reason for not
using <abbr>. This setting can be changed in JAWS quite easily, but more
importantly adding <abbr> when required also enhances accessibility for
some *other* users who may not be using a screen reader.
Bottom line: use <abbr> when appropriate.