WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Need to know if this code snippet is accessible

for

Date: Jun 10, 2010 11:51PM

I have tested the page using JAWS. My findings are..

1. By navigating with "Tab" key I am not able to focus the "Read discription" element.

2. By navigating using arrow keys I am able to focus on "Read discription. Now the problem is "Read discription" is neither a link nor a clickable element. So a user may ignore entering on it to find the hidden discription. Also there is no intimation on pressing enter on "Read discription" the newly visible text is hidden.

My suggestion is

1. Make it a tab focusable element. Make clear that by pressing enter on it gives some text after the element and by re-pressing the enter on the same it will close the content.

(or)

2. Give a tab focusable technology to it and provide a mechanism to close the newly opened content at the end of the new content.

(or)

3. Provide tab focusable technology to "read discription" and ensure that when content in "read discription-1" opens all other "read discriptionss" are closed. On opening "read discription-2" already opened "read discription-1" should be closed automatically.

i have checked the page using Internet explorer 6 and JAWS 11. Other browser with other assisstive technology may present the content differently.

Thanks & regards

Rakesh Paladugula