WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Handling with accessible error messages.

for

Date: Sep 23, 2010 6:36AM

The critical issue with form error messages, is helping the user get focus to the problematic input field. If you're error message simply reports a list of errors, and then sends the user to the first input field in the form, he/she will have to tab through all the forms until reaching the problematic one. If there were only ONE error reported (instead of a list) you could use JavaScript to send focus directly to the problematic input field.

If I were doing this, I would report errors one-at-a-time. Each error report would give correction instructions and direct the focus back to the problematic input. Where possible, I would also trigger this error report using the onBlur() event so that errors were corrected immediately.

-- Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 8:20 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Handling with accessible error messages.

Hi folks,
We have a form which needs to be made accessible.
On submition of the form the errors are appeared as a list before the form.
User has to read all the error messages and then move to the form to enter. If we have more than 3 errors an user cannot remember all the error messages and enter.
So another mechanism also is required to provide the error messages for the users of screen readers some where near the wrongly entered field.
I prefer providing a hidden span with error message near corresponding field. Is it okey?
Can any one bring more accessible solution on it without disturbing the existing layout.
Waiting for your responses.
Thanks in advance.
Rakesh

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.