WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: The cost of accessibility

for

Date: Oct 5, 2010 6:21AM

If we assume the cost per project runs from 2 to 5%, what would everyone say is covered by that expense?

I realize that we all would like others to focus on the benefits of accessibility rather than the costs of accessibility. However, the truth is that we are wanting people to make a serious commitment to accessibility. If they are going to make that commitment, they need to know what it will cost them to make and keep it. Also, it would be easier to balance the costs of accessibility with the benefits of accessibility if we were able to explain what, if any, monetary benefits there are.

Tim
-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Denis Boudreau
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2010 3:49 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] The cost of accessibility

Hi a11y folks,

For a study we're conducting with the Quebec government, I'm trying to evaluate general cost of accessibility when building a website.

Back in 2004, Andy Budd [1] was saying it was around 2%. I tend to agree with him, though my own experience suggests it's more like 2 to 5%.

So, if you had a fully-skilled, fully-experienced team at your disposal (where everyone knows what they're doing), in a website redesign project, what percentage of your budget would you reserve to cover the cost of accessibility?

[1] <http://www.andybudd.com/archives/2004/01/the_business_case_for_web_accessibility/>;.

Regards,
--
Denis Boudreau
Téléphone : +1 514.730.9168
Courriel : <EMAIL REMOVED>