E-mail List Archives
Re: Skip Navigation
From: Jon Gunderson
Date: Jul 23, 2002 7:30AM
- Next message: Jon Gunderson: "RE: Skip Navigation"
- Previous message: Jon Gunderson: "RE: Skip Navigation"
- Next message in Thread: Jon Gunderson: "RE: Skip Navigation"
- Previous message in Thread: Jon Gunderson: "RE: Skip Navigation"
- View all messages in this Thread
In addition to the skip navigation bar there are two additional techniques:
1. Use headers (H1-H6) Opera supports header navigation (only major browser
that does) and that will move the tab index past the navigation bar
Test page: http:www.w3.org
2. Use the TABINDEX attribute for links. This determines the tabbing order
of links and form controls. Supported by IE 6 and Netscape 6, but not
Netscape 4.x and Opera 6.0
test page: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/TS/html401/cp0101/0101-TABINDEX.html
At 05:05 PM 7/22/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> > The skip link strategy is only works on Internet Explorer. It does not
> > work for Opera and Netscape. So you really need to use multiple
> > to meet this 508 requirement. I suggest using headers for main topics and
> > tabindex for the first link past the navigation bar.
>What method does not work in Netscape/Opera? I thought the page anchor
>method worked across all standard browsers?
><a href="#content">Skip to content</a>
><!--Navigation goes here-->
>To subscribe, unsubscribe, or view list archives,
Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
Coordinator of Assistive Communication and Information Technology
Division of Rehabilitation - Education Services
College of Applied Life Studies
University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
1207 S. Oak Street, Champaign, IL 61820
Voice: (217) 244-5870
Fax: (217) 333-0248
E-mail: <EMAIL REMOVED>
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or view list archives,