WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Jaws not reading content after double quote in legend

for

Date: Jun 10, 2011 3:24AM

Hi Ashitosh

If your example code is the actual code you're using in your web page, this issue is likely to be caused by lack of proper labeling:

The radio buttons need to have individual labels, or JAWS is going to guess label text based whatever text it find adjacent to the control (which perhaps is influenced by the used of quote entities). I was able to fix your sample using the following code:

<fieldset>
<legend><span class="legend_span1"> Were you advised that you were going to be charged for a &quot;No Show&quot; fee during registration?: </span>
</legend>
<input name="advised" id="y_lab_2" type="radio" value="Yes"/> <label for="y_lab_2">Yes</label>

<input name="advised" id="y_lab_3" type="radio" value="No" /> <label for="y_lab_3">No</label>
</fieldset>

JAWS 12 now correctly announces both the legend text and individual radiobutton text for both controls.

Regards,

Hans Hillen
TPG Europe

On Jun 10, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Jadhav, Ashitosh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am creating a form where there are 2 radio buttons (Yes/No). I have used a legend which contains the question. I am using JAWS to read the form fields.
>
> When I do Insert+F5 it reads "Were you advised that you were going to be charged for a" and when I remove the quotes it read the all the text from the legend.
>
> Example code :
>
> <fieldset>
> <legend><span class="legend_span1"> Were you advised that you were going to be charged for a &quot;No Show&quot; fee during registration?: </span>
> </legend>
> <input id="y_lab_2" type="radio" value="Yes" />
> <input id="y_lab_3" type="radio" value="No" />
> </ fieldset>
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Ashitosh Jadhav
>
> </PRE><p style="font-family:arial;color:grey" style="font-size:13px">This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Capgemini Group. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.</p><PRE>
>