WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: feedback needed - interview training demo

for

Date: Jul 31, 2011 11:48AM

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011, Jesse Bradley wrote:
> I am attempting to develop an accessible online training for a school
> project. The original training was developed in flash and was completely
> inaccessible, so I thought I would try to redevelop it using JQuery Mobile.

Using keyboard only navigation, I hit some snags.

First of all, from the "purpose/definition" page it's not clear what to do next. I made the assumption that I should select "selection process", and I think I was correct, but there was nothing on the page guiding me towards that.

From the "selection process steps" page it's unclear whether or not you have to do the steps in order. Also, from a keyboard-only point of view, the arrow keys (which looked like the selectable links) weren't accessible. Luckily it turned out that the words themselves in the list were accessible.

From there, I could select all of the buttons that said "next", which I assume is the only thing that we needed to do between that page and the page labeled "step one: prepare interview".

On that page, none of the "+" expanders, which looked like the selectable elements, were keyboard accessible. Once again, at least the words themselves were keyboard accessible.

The knowledge quiz was keyboard accessible, but completely confusing. I could access the checkboxes by tabbing and the words by text search, but I didn't even realize it was a form at first. Why style a form to make it not look like a form? People know what web forms look like, and almost-no-contrast dark blue on blue shaded boxes is not what web form looks like. Also, since tabbing to the elements gave the whole row a difficult-to-see shade effect instead of doing anything to change the look of the checkbox, I initially didn't parse the tab was doing the right thing.

That's as far as I went. Good luck continuing to make the whole quiz accessible! I've run into the flash training problem before, and it's a royal pain.

-Deborah