WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

using title attribute as form field label

for

Date: Nov 7, 2011 2:51PM

Hi everyone,

I know and preach that it's best to use a label for every form field, but in those cases where it's really not possible or practical (such as one label describing more than one field), what's the best alternative technique? Title attribute? Always, or just in some situations?

Using the title attribute on the form field has good support and is simple to implement. In fact, is there any reason to even consider other techniques, such as using CSS to hide a label or using aria-labelledby? In other words, are there any advantages of these CSS or ARIA techniques over simply using the title attribute that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Zoe

Zoe Gillenwater
Technical Architect, Design Standards Accessibility
Creative Experience Team
AT&T eCommerce

o: 919-241-4083
e: <EMAIL REMOVED>

This e-mail, and any attachments, are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. It is the property of AT&T. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email, any attachments thereto, and any use of the information contained is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify me at 919-241-4083 and permanently delete the original and any copy thereof.