WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: AJAX accessibility issue

for

Date: Mar 22, 2012 12:03PM

Hi,

Hmmm.
I agree with you on the content that shows up further down the page.
I guess, for me, it's a question of how much further down the page. In this case, the new content starts with the very next form field.
Admittedly, this is my first experience with AJAX and JAWS behaviors, at least here at work. I'm not used to not receiving notification that hitting Enter on a control has performed any action. So I may be using too much of my personal preference to determine what's right or wrong, instead of what officialy constitutes accessibility or inaccessibility. (grins)
That's why I love learning so much from this list.

Courtney

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Jared Smith
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:18 PM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] AJAX accessibility issue

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Ritz, Courtney L. wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> The new controls are shown, but JAWS does not announce that anything has changed.

Does it need to? JAWS users don't always have to be informed of content or interface updates that occur in other areas of the page, especially if those content updates are easily found simply by navigating or reading forward. It sounds in this case that you may be trying to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. In other words, the user may not care that an update has occurred, so long as the updated content is accessible when they get to it.

Jared