WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: WordPress accessibility

for

Date: May 17, 2012 1:26PM

Hi Bevi, I just did a presentation yesterday at #AccessU on WordPress Accessibility :)

If you use the default Twenty Eleven theme it actually has really good accessibility out of the box, ARIA support, good use of the title attribute, skip links (though they don't work in Webkit), labeled form controls, use of headings. The hover menus don't work with a keyboard though.

I did make a simple plugin to tweak the twenty eleven theme, fixing the skip for webkit, fixing color contrast, underline links in the body, and outline:0.

The admin area however has many, many accessibility problems, lightboxes that don't receive keyboard focus when activated, many unlabeled form fields, features only working on mouse hover, menus can only be reordered with drag and drop mouse behavior, no skip link, duplication of menu links, the visual editor traps keyboard focus, outline:0, and the default behavior when uploading images is to make the title a required field and place the filename in the title which is really strange.

Also did a basic admin plugin to add a webkit skiplink and fix outline:0.

I had lots of fun working on it. Hope that you and other WebAIM followers like it :)

http://mobilebility.com/blog/wordpress-accessibility-twenty-eleven-admin/

Paul J. Adam
Accessibility Evangelist
Deque Systems
<EMAIL REMOVED>
www.PaulJAdam.com
@pauljadam on Twitter

On May 17, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Bevi Chagnon wrote:

> Any idea of where to find information on:
>
> 1) How accessible are most WordPress websites, and
>
> 2) Guidance on making WordPress websites accessible.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Bevi Chagnon
>
> --
>
> Bevi Chagnon | <EMAIL REMOVED>
>
> PubCom - Trainers, consultants, designers, and developers
>
> Print, Web, Acrobat, XML, eBooks, and Federal Section 508