E-mail List Archives

Re: text-only version of web pages

for

From: GF Mueden@
Date: Jan 30, 2013 10:34AM


All good, Bevi, but too late. I am 95 and losing the ability to reach
out that far. I fell yesterday with damage taking me to the ER until
5am, and they will probably want to imobilize my right wrist. I am
mousing lefty.

Thats life. ===gm==

On 1/30/2013 12:17 PM, Chagnon | PubCom wrote:
> GM wrote, "I can't fight evidence and must back off on those points.
> My need remains. Have you a solution to offer?"
>
> Hi GM,
> >From what you wrote before, "I am not for outlawing graphics, but please
> give me the choice.
> The ability to "X out" graphics would be appreciated," I replied:
>
> You're right, that's a solution for you.
>
> Given that all graphics on a website use the <image> tag in the HTML
> code, it might be possible to create a code widget that can hide the
> graphics for you. Click and graphics are hidden, click again and they are
> visible.
>
> But I wouldn't wait for the solution to be built for you. Pigs will
> fly before that happens!
>
> Why not reach out to the coder community and find someone who can
> co-create this with you? There's probably a college student somewhere
> in the world studying computer science who needs a small project like
> this for his coursework. Heck, there might be someone in Computer
> Science at Utah State University, which hosts WebAim. It could be sold
> as a $9.99 code widget to web developers, who then can add that feature to
> websites.
>
> Don't wait for the solution to come to you. Web developers will stay
> gainfully employed without ever meeting your needs because graphics and
> visual design dominate the real world.
>
> So become inventive. Rustle up a coder or two and have them work with you on
> a code widget that will give you what you need. "Necessity is the mother of
> all invention," right?
>
> -Bevi Chagnon
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> www.PubCom.com - Trainers, Consultants, Designers, Developers.
> Print, Web, Acrobat, XML, eBooks, and U.S. Federal Section 508
> Accessibility.
> New schedule for classes and workshops coming in 2013.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: <EMAIL REMOVED>
> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of GF Mueden@
> Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:05 PM
> To: WebAIM Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [WebAIM] text-only version of web pages
>
> I can't fight evidence and must back off on those points.
> My need remains. Have you a solution to offer?
> ===gm==>
>
> On 1/30/2013 11:41 AM, Chagnon | PubCom wrote:
>> GF wrote, "When ordering groceries on line, it is not necessary that
>> the list of departments have a graphic incorporated for each department."
>>
>> Actually, for the company selling groceries, it is necessary.
>>
>> Statistical research shows that nearly 100% of fully sighted customers
>> interpret and comprehend the graphic before reading the actual text.
>> So website visitors will recognize an apple graphic for the produce
>> department and a fish graphic for the seafood counter faster and more
>> accurately than if only words designated the departments. This has
>> been so convincingly proven by marketing and psychological research
>> for over 100 years that it is no longer studied. It's an accepted
>> truth in the business and advertising world.
>>
>> The message contained in a graphic (that is, a photo, illustration, or
>> logo) is interpreted and comprehended in less than 1 second by someone
>> who is fully sighted (0.8 seconds if I remember correctly). That same
>> message in words will take several seconds, maybe even minutes to have
>> the same impact, and the worded message will often be misinterpreted
>> or misread. The old saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words" is
> accurate.
>> Your comment, "I have no objection to graphics where needed to tell
>> the story, but I do object when it is obvious that the designer is
>> just showing off," points in the wrong direction to find a solution
>> for your visual disability.
>>
>> Websites with beautiful graphics, eye-catching designs, animations,
>> rotating slideshows and carousels, and all the other "show-off" stuff
>> complained about on WebAIM out-sell, out-market, out-persuade, and in
>> all other criteria outperform websites without these features.
>>
>> So these visual features are not going to go away because they make a
>> lot of money for the website owners.
>>
>> GF wrote, "I am not for outlawing graphics, but please give me the choice.
>> The ability to "X out" graphics would be appreciated."
>>
>> You're right, that's a solution for you.
>>
>> Given that all graphics on a website use the <image> tag in the HTML
>> code, it might be possible to create a code widget that can hide the
>> graphics for you. Click and graphics are hidden, click again and they are
> visible.
>> But I wouldn't wait for the solution to be built for you. Pigs will
>> fly before that happens!
>>
>> Why not reach out to the coder community and find someone who can
>> co-create this with you? There's probably a college student somewhere
>> in the world studying computer science who needs a small project like
>> this for his coursework. Heck, there might be someone in Computer
>> Science at Utah State University, which hosts WebAim. It could be sold
>> as a $9.99 code widget to web developers, who then can add that feature to
> websites.
>> GF wrote, "My "Advice for Publishers", written for the benefit of
>> those who still read with their eyes but not well, is available as an
>> email down load."
>>
>> I'd love to read your ideas, GF. Please forward it to the list or to
>> me directly.
>> -Bevi Chagnon
>> <EMAIL REMOVED>
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> - - -
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> www.PubCom.com - Trainers, Consultants, Designers, Developers.
>> Print, Web, Acrobat, XML, eBooks, and U.S. Federal Section 508
>> Accessibility.
>> New schedule for classes and workshops coming in 2013.
>>
>> >> >> list messages to <EMAIL REMOVED>
>>
> > > messages to <EMAIL REMOVED>
>
> > > >