WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Tools for bringing transscript text and video together

for

Date: May 22, 2013 8:39PM

I'd be interested in answers to a slight variation of the theme:

It is possible to get reasonable quality transscripts from recorded video at a reasonable rate. What would be an easy approach to take such a a transscript and merge it with my video to inject the closed captioning (and of course have the sync fall in place/no manual tweaking, please)?

Furthermore, I'd like to put both the video with closed captioning and the transscript as text on a web page, and have links from the transcript text that would make the video jump to the respective position. How would I achieve this?

I would mostly be doing this for recorded seminars and presentations (both real video recording as well as screen recording). My reasoning is that once we can make accessibility related functionality useful for just about everybody (not just people with a disability or two), more traction could be achieved. What I hate about most videos is that I have to sequentially watch them to find the chunk of content I am really interest in. If I could quickly skim through the transscript text or search for a certain phrase, I could more easily just watch the portion of the video I care about. [Oh - and the other thing I'd love to have in ordinary video players on the web - let me adjust the speed.... - like for text-to-speech in a screen reader - but that's a different story...]

Olaf