WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Front End Developers and ATs

for

Date: Aug 29, 2013 2:49AM

David Ashleydale wrote:
"I'm thinking of recommending that all FEDs at the company I work at acquire and learn how to use an AT or two as part of their development toolkit. I'd love to hear this group's thoughts on whether or not that seems impractical or perhaps even unnecessary. Or is this something that all FEDs should be doing"

My view is that a professional FED absolutely must have a strong understanding not only of assistive technologies and how to use them, but also how people use them in practice. I would extend that to having a wider knowledge of people with disabilities who do not use ATs. That means spending a significant amount of time working with and observing such people.

If a FED is not willing to take the time to do this, I would find it difficult to consider them as professionals, no matter how good they are at coding.

It is not difficult to get this experience even if you have to do it yourself without the support of your company. When I started I just called up some disability support groups and asked if they could put me in touch with some people who were willing to spend a few hours with me in exchange for a reasonable payment.

Steve Green