WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: CSS usage

for

Date: Nov 5, 2013 11:27AM

The whole thing started when they wanted the red asterisk to stick out from the text on phone number. Underneath the phone number is the fax number which is not required. When I made a one space before the "f" of fax number the "p" of phone number was not right above the "f" of fax number. I made it a little better by changing my one space to two spaces. My section 508 coordinator who knows a lot about html said for proper alignment I could use CSS. I don't know CSS yet. I have been taken off this assignment because they didn't have a sighted person to assist me in looking at the page. I am writing JSP code which is then rendered into html. Isn't CSS only used for making things pretty? Should I be learning it and if so why?

Susie

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Nathalie Sequeira
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 11:48 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] CSS usage

Am 05.11.2013 16:05, schrieb Jukka K. Korpela:
> Problems presented in the original question cannot be meaningfully
> addressed without more information. It refers to "getting things to
> line up on the page even though the font letters are different sizes",
> and I really cannot guess what it means.
Ha, interesting, the different interpretations of Susan's question!

I understood it as Susan being blind and building web pages, wanting to know what sighted users may need ... ;) But of course, I may be wrong -- Susan, please let us know if we're way on the wrong track!

> The basic principle should be to design the layout to accommodate
> texts in different font sizes, instead of forcing fixed widths.

Absolutely.
Which is why I recommended setting an em-based width -
30 em usually works fine for achieving a line length that is still readable - and it scales along with the increased text size of enlarged text :)

Cheers!
Nathalie

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.