WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Way finding s/w and accessibility

for

Date: Nov 11, 2013 2:51PM

I was just reading about iBeacon for the iPhone and also supposedly available for Android. It uses bluetooth to communicate with mobile devices and has API support in IOS 7. I believe it can do triangulation to determine your location indoors.

I also believe that some VAMC facilities might have kiosks that provide this functionality.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

On Nov 11, 2013, at 12:03 AM, Dylan Barrell wrote:

> Jennison,
>
> I would suggest directions in the form of a GPS navigation device. If
> these can be calculated on the fly from the wireless device - all the
> better. These can be generated in a text form and then leverage the
> screen reader for voice.
>
> --Dylan
>
>> On Nov 8, 2013, at 7:20 AM, Jennison Asuncion < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A colleague is working on the following project and is seeking broad feedback/pointers to resources (way-finding tech accessibility is not something I am too familiar with myself).
>>
>> Context - team is developing a series of touch screen monitors that will be stationed at different
>> locations around their facility. The monitors will have a way finding tool on them - to
>> allow individuals to search for rooms. The way finding tool will also have a mobile component that individuals who have their app will have access to.
>>
>> Question is extracted here: "I wondered what our best options would
>> be for designing our way finding tool. We are looking to build a tool that would create a visual pathway from where they are to their destination (using arrows). What I'm wondering is whether we should build in audio for the directions (ex. to describe the
>> directions, approximate distance) - or whether a list view would be
>> more appropriate for blind folks.. Are there other way finding tools that are considered accessible to
>> blind / low vision users that you'd suggest?"
>>
>>
>> Jennison
> > >