WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: accessible forms

for

Date: Dec 10, 2013 11:06AM

We were looking at Wufoo a few months ago. I've pasted in our testing notes after my signature stuff below; we never produced a full report because we decided there were too many defects to bother testing further. There were also significant accessibility issues with the interface for creating forms. This is what we sent Wufoo about that:
"As far as the interface to build and manage forms, the accessibility lab did some preliminary testing and found some fundamental problems that prevented them from going deeper. Basically the interface is not keyboard accessible for users with motor impairments. You cannot tab through it to get to the various links. Certain options require hover. In our experience, we have found that any interface that is not keyboard accessible has no chance of being screen reader accessible either. Here is one example: when you have multiple forms, you see the action choices (entries, edit, view, analytics, notifications, rules, payment, code, protect) for the top form only and you have to hover over the other forms to see their action options. Blind users who require a screen reader have no way to get to these options."

sb
Sarah E. Bourne
Director of Assistive Technology &
Mass.Gov Chief Technology Strategist
Information Technology Division
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
1 Ashburton Pl. rm 1601 Boston MA 02108
617-626-4502
<EMAIL REMOVED>
http://www.mass.gov/itd

Testing notes for public facing forms

JAWS V14.0.6005 with IE 10.x
JavaScript Enabled

There are three frames on the page

Problems / Observations

1. Single Line Text field, char limits

JAWS only reads the information below the field, i.e. Maximum Allowed: 100 characters. Currently Used: 0 characters..
And not the label above the field.

Comments to the side of the field are not spoken by JAWS, ie These are instructions specific to this field telling you how to fill it out.

2. Single Line Text field, required *

When I tabbed into theis field from the precvious fiend, JAWS read the comments from the precious field, ie These are instructions specific to this field telling you how to fill it out..
And not the label above the current field.

3. Paragraph of Text

When I tabbed into this field from the precvious fiend, JAWS read the comments from the precious field, ie This field requires a number.

Therefore it would seem that you cannot use the comments to the right for a field.

4. When you press the Submit button, but have not filled out the required firlds, an error occurs whuch is not read by JAWS since it was / is enbedded on the page ie below the Test Form 1 heading with the message "There was a problem with your submision, errors have been highlighted below" all surrounded with a red highlight.

But even when you tab to the affected field you have no idea that there is a problem becasuse the label above the fieldie for the " Single Line Text field, required" is highlighted in red with the error messasge (in red too) below the affected field ie "This field is required. Please enter a value." But that information is not read by JAWS.

5. But even when there are no errors, the embedded message that again appears below the Test Form 1 heading with the messages " Great! Thanks for Fillig Out My Form" is not read by JAWS.

JAWS V14.0.6005 with Firefox 23.0.1
Javascript Enabled

Overall JAWS encountered less problems using Firefox than was experienced using IE. For example, JAWS now reads all the displayed information associated with a field, including the lavbel / fiend nasme above the field, and requirements displated below the field and the instructions that are often displayed to the right of the fiend.

But it is not always the case since in a few instances such as Paragraph of Text, there are still some problems

1. Paragraph of Text

When I tabbed into this field from the precvious fiend, JAWS read the comments from the precious field, ie This field requires a number.

2. Firefox is a little better with the errors that occur. You have to allow JAWS read farv enough and it will read the Test Form 1 heading and the message "There was a problem with your submision, errors have been highlighted below" all surrounded with a red highlight.

But as was the case with IE, JAWS doesn't indicate the field with the error(s) or read the error message below the affected field, ie

But even when you tab to the affected field you have no idea that there is a problem becasuse the label above the field for the " Single Line Text field, required" is highlighted in red with the error messasge (in red too) below the affected field ie "This field is required. Please enter a value." But that information is not read by JAWS.

3. But when the first form is successfully submitted, the fields are cleared off the page and an embedded message appears below the Test Form 1 heading with the messages " Great! Thanks for Fillig Out My Form" is t read fine by JAWS.

More testing results to come ...