WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Question about LiveCycle and accessibiilty

for

Date: Feb 6, 2014 7:47AM

Upon further research and testing, the PDF readers, such as Adobe Reader, Foxit PDF reader and even Adobe Acrobat Pro will all by default create links from URLs. All have the option to turn off this feature, but it is on by default.

This raises another issue for me, because the resulting links that are automatically created are not properly tagged in the PDF and to not comply with WCAG 2.0 and PDF Techniques. For this reason, I am instructing our developers tomanually create the links in LiveCycle using descriptive text. This ensures the resulting link is properly tagged and complies with WCAG 2.0.

Simply put, we do not code to technology, but according to the guidelines and standards. This is a good example of how software will interpret and/or try to correct for incorrect coding.

Todd.
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [ <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Liko, Todd [ <EMAIL REMOVED> ]
Sent: February 6, 2014 8:16 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: [WebAIM] Question about LiveCycle and accessibiilty

Hello all.

My apologies if this question is somewhat off topic.

LiveCycle ES3 automatically creates links using the URL text whenever you save as a PDF form. I create my links manually using descriptive link text and would like to prevent the auto-creating of links when converted to PDF.

What happens is I end up with two links, one with descriptive text, and the other the URL.

I have also posted this question on the Adobe Support discussion list and received no reply thus far.

Does anyone know if this can be done?

Todd.