I think Deque sells such a service.

Susie Stanzel

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of julien
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 11:01 AM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] accessibility web proxy

Hello,
This is probably a silly question, but I was curious why there was no such thing as an accessibility web proxy service on the market (I'm thinking about a web proxy server sitting between the user's PC and the server, that fixes and enhances html code on the fly, before it is interpreted by the screen reader on the client machine). With a large enough community of subscribers, wouldn't such a service be able to address common pain points for blind web users like optimizing bad html, solving captcha, making popular hard-to-access websites accessible without installing scripts? Or even augmenting web pages (adding summaries or image descriptions when needed)?
Anyway, I'm sure others have explored this idea before (I have found a few academic papers mentioning this concept); what do you think are the main reasons it doesn't exist?

Thanks!

Julien
This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.