WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Please assist a web developer...

for

Date: Jul 24, 2014 1:51AM

I concur with Joy's strategy and recommendation. A structured page/document wherein the user can easerly navigate between sections is essential.

Respectfully,
Thomas Lee McKeithan II
QSSI
http://www.qssinc.com
508 SME, SSQA Solutions Center
10480 Little Patuxent Pkwy , Suite 350
Columbia , MD 21044
(301 )977-7884 x1058 (Work)
(202) 276-6437 (Cell)

This electronic mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic email or its contents (including any attachments) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the original message (including any attachments) in its entirety.

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Joy Relton
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:38 PM
To: 'WebAIM Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Please assist a web developer...

As a blind person who uses the web and also tests web sites I think that the title of the page should be first. You can then either use a skip navigation tab or have a Heading #2 as the "skip nv". For me, the structure of the page is very important. I want to be able to move through the hierarchy of the pae and understand what it is all about. This should be done with heading, links paragraphs and the like. Otherwise, the web page is similar to reading a lengthy document on narrow ticker tape which has been cut apart andthen taped together. I have the same opinion about documents and software. Put the important stuff in order of import in the structure. If you want fancy colors and bolding and the like, fine, but make sure that you use a build-it structure which indicates levels of import. THT.

-----Original Message-----
[mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of G Hickling
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:23 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Please assist a web developer...

I would like some comments, please, from blind and low-sighted users of screen readers on a point of usability. Lots of websites these days put the navigation menu on the top line of the browser window, before the site logo and the rest of the header. Other sites start off with adverts from third parties in the same position.

It seems to me this sort of thing must be a nuisance to screen reader users, by leaving a lot of stuff to wade through or skip over before the user even knows what the site is about (I know the initial title and description, which are announced first by the screen reader, are supposed to say what site it is, but we don't always get that right either!.

As a web developer I would like to know if practice of ours this causes problems for blind and low sighted screen reader users, or are you ok with it?

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - The way an email service should be