WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: Seeking selected link in Carousel examples

for

Date: Sep 10, 2014 8:01PM

> Does this mean that there is no way to code a selected state for a list of dots that are also links? Would a mix of aria-controls and aria-label make this any easier? I still don't see a way to indicate something is selected using ARIA.

These remind me of the page indicators on iOS. For example, VoiceOver announces "page 1 of 7, adjustable, swipe up or down to adjust."

It think it makes more sense to treat the dots as one control with different values rather than separate controls one of which is selected. Perhaps an ARIA slider is an equivalent.

Jonathan

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of <EMAIL REMOVED>
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 5:28 PM
To: <EMAIL REMOVED>
Subject: [WebAIM] Seeking selected link in Carousel examples

I remember a few presenters at CSUN describing how their carousels that used dots for navigation were coded. They were marked up as tabs, even though visually they look nothing like tabs. I believe ARIA was part of the mix.

I was doing some research for one of our front end developers to see what I could learn about ARIA for defining a selected state for a list item. I learned that aria-selected doesn't apply to links or list items.

Does this mean that there is no way to code a selected state for a list of dots that are also links? Would a mix of aria-controls and aria-label make this any easier? I still don't see a way to indicate something is selected using ARIA.

Seems like the only option is to dynamically include "you are here" or "selected" text to the image's alt text. Simply not linking the selected item doesn't seem sufficient since it then becomes a non-focusable element.

Any and all tips are most welcome.

Thanks,

Judith Blankman

Accessibility Strategist
Customer Experience

Wells Fargo Digital Channels Group | 550 California Street, 2nd floor | San Francisco, CA 94104

MAC A0122-020

Tel 415-947-6583 | Cell 415-601-1114 | Fax 415-974-7452

<EMAIL REMOVED>