WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: LinkedIn and VoiceOver

for

Date: Dec 9, 2014 9:42AM

Please disregard this message. Thanks a lot.
Jake

Please visit me at http://jazzyjj.dreamwidth.org .

On Dec 8, 2014, at 9:26 AM, JAKE JOEHL < <EMAIL REMOVED> > wrote:

Hi everyone. Subject line pretty much sums it up. I was recently asked to test out the LinkedIn website for my volunteer job, because we’re supposedly going to start doing stuff on there. I actually listened to a recorded 2-part seminar about LinkedIn in general, which took place at The Hadley School for the Blind about 2 years ago. They also did a seminar where one of the instructors demonstrated LinkedIn with JAWS for Windows. I listened to that one too, and based on what I heard LinkedIn worked quite well with that screen reader at the time. I recently created a profile on the site using VoiceOver. Filling out my basic information, i.e., name and job title, was rather straightforward. I was also able to put in one of the schools I attended plus a little bit of information about clubs I was in. However, I’ve tested the site with both Safari version 7.1 and the latest build of Google Chrome and I’ve found some discrepancies. Mainly the site seems to jump around a bit when viewing news stories and most anything after the profile sections. The site seems to be refreshing somewhat, but this is not indicated by VO at all. Furthermore, Safari seems to leave out some things. What I decided to do yesterday was to listen to the 2-part seminar again, this time on my NLS player and try to follow along on my Mac. So I got through part 1 with little trouble, and I’m planning on following along with part 2 between now and Christmas. I want to talk with my co-workers and our founder first though, and hash out a plan as to where exactly they want to go with this. I know what has been said before about trial and error, and that’s what I’m doing. Any assistance would be awesome! I’m running OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 on a mid-2013 model 13-inch MacBook Air, if that helps. I’ve been debating about whether to upgrade to Yosemite right away or hold off. I also posted on AppleVis about this, but nobody seems to know anything. When I contacted Hadley about it, I first got back a response which said that they’d look into the matter. Then on Friday I got something from their Help Desk that basically said nothing.
Jake
Please visit me at http://jazzyjj.dreamwidth.org .