WebAIM - Web Accessibility In Mind

E-mail List Archives

Re: arai-describedby and aria-hidden

for

Date: Feb 4, 2015 8:54AM

Ricardo,

I am assuming you are just wanting to give screen readers information which is hidden from everyone else. Why do you think you are missing something?

Susie Stanzel

-----Original Message-----
From: <EMAIL REMOVED> [mailto: <EMAIL REMOVED> ] On Behalf Of Ricardo Sánchez
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2015 9:42 AM
To: WebAIM Discussion List
Subject: Re: [WebAIM] arai-describedby and aria-hidden

Sorry. I correct some errors in my previous message.

Hello all:

I would like to know your opinion on a combination of aria-describedby property and aria-hidden state that I am using. My idea is to prevent users of screen readers listen redundant content. I've tested with JAWS 15 and NVAD
2014 in IE 8, IE 11, Chrome 40 and Firefox Safari 3.6.23y with Voiceover on iOS 8. I have not encountered any problems. Am I missing something?
Would there be any scenario in which this code could be problematic?

The code is:

<label for = "nif"> NIF </ label>
<input type = "text" id = "nif" aria-describedby = "formatonif" /> <p id = "formatonif" aria-hidden = "true"> Do not leave space between letters and numbers </ p>

Thanks in advance.

Warm regards.
Ricardo Sanchez

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.